Monday, June 1, 2009

Please Be Kind...

What were you doing in high school or college to make some extra spending money? I lifeguarded (great job) and also worked at Movie Gallery one summer. I loved that job, partly because it was easy and I just talked to people all day, but also because at the end of the day, everything had to be in order. I still cannot go to a movie store and stop myself from placing DVDs back in their correct homes, or making sure they are propped in just the right position. A friend told me that she still ensures there is a certain amount of space in between each hanger when she goes into stores. She worked at a clothing store in high school. It is amazing how much these jobs affect you, even 10 or 15 years later. I still cringe when a child dives into the shallow end of the pool.

The reasoning behind this post is to ask you to remember how you felt when you were a peon at work. Were you getting coffee for someone? Rewinding movies, or vacuuming a store after the mall closed? I remember thinking when I graduated college, "Thank goodness these days are behind me. Never again will I be working 4 hour shifts on a Sunday afternoon!" Again, we cannot see the future! Do you remember how you felt when customers came in and treated you like you were only working there to please them? I am now allowed to announce that the Pottery Barn Kids store where I currently work will be closing in less than a month. Today began the 30% "Everything Must Go" sale. I have never seen so many crazed women running around searching for the perfect stroller blanket or nursery bedding. Additionally, people felt the need to bargain with us for more than 30%. Is this 1873? Are we still on the bartering system? Then, when told no, these women got angry! They were also annoyed that it took a few minutes to figure out what the discount would actually be on each item.

Now, we did have some people who waited patiently for their turn and actually asked how we (as people) were doing. I think they must have worked in retail at some point in their life. All this to remind you...the people behind the counter are just like you. They may or may not be as educated as you, or have had the opportunities that you have had. On the other hand, some of them may be working there just for the discount! Please remember, grunting and making comments under your breath does not help us do our job more quickly. In fact, it makes us flustered and we will probably take longer than we would otherwise because we are rushing. We are doing the best we can. So, the next time you are standing in a line that is out the door and thinking, "If I were behind the counter, this would be going a lot faster," take a deep breath and remember when you were actually in this position. You never know...you could one day be back there.

Try to help us make this a positive experience for everyone. Just be kind...rewind. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Jenny-unfortunately it doesn't matter if you have education or not and work in a professional enviroment. The public in general is just rude and feels a sense of entitlement.

    ReplyDelete