Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day Daddy!

My father and I have an interesting relationship. My mother always says that we are the same person, just the male and female version of each other. As you can imagine, this could lead to some butting of heads (especially in my teenage years!) But, instead of focusing on the crazy disagreements we may have had, I want to focus on how much my father has positively influenced my life.

As the oldest child, I like to consider myself my father's favorite. (This has not been confirmed by either parent but this is what I tell myself.) Ever since I was little dad and I have had a special bond. I think this partly because we mentally process things in the same way. When I was given the opportunity to be in the kitchen learning how to cook, or outside learning the difference between a Phillips Head and a flat head screwdriver, I opted for the latter. Because there are three girls in our family, my father never had the opportunity to show his son how to throw a baseball or play football. That's where I came in. Unfortunately, I played softball, basketball and swam, but never was the athlete a Blackburn son may have become. (They made up a position for me in softball.)

But my father continued to be my biggest fan (along with my mother!) He has always encouraged me in everything I have done, and been there for me when things didn't really work out the way I expected. We have a closeness where I feel comfortable talking to him about boys and relationships, which I think is rare between a father and daughter. I truly feel that I can come to him with any issue in my life and he will give me thoughtful and truthful advice.

Again, living in a home with 4 women cannot have been easy for my father. I think he was subtly influenced with all the estrogen and doesn't blink an eye when spontaneous crying breaks out. Once I left home, I was surprised to find that the majority of men are not wired this way.

I have many fond memories of my father, which would take too long to write. I just want to acknowledge that my dad has helped mold me into what I am today. (You can decide whether this is for good or bad! :-)) He has cheered me on, sat while I cried on his shoulder, and listened while I tried to sort out what choices I needed to make to get my life in order. One of the most important things my father taught me is that he believes I can do anything I set my mind to. This may have resulted in stubborness on my part, but also taught me to never quit, because eventually I will succeed in the goal that I have set for myself. My dad has been my hero for the last 28 years, and I have held every boy I have ever dated to this standard. (Thank goodness Mike and dad clicked immediately!) I love you daddy and hope you know I am
thankful for you everyday, not just once a year!!
.

1 comment: