Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Please Find Another Outlet

I know I should not dwell on experiences that are negative, but today was just a crappy work day. I have been putting in a lot of hours, which is good, because the pay checks will help, but the negative attitudes of the customers really start to wear on you. I recognize that I work in retail and am not going to be well respected by the general public, but I do think that there is a general sense of kindness that you bestow on other human beings. At some point in your life, don't you learn the "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" golden rule? We learned it in kindergartern. Seriously. I remember it being posted on the wall in Mrs. Wheeler's class.

Today I worked a six hours shift, which is long when you are standing on your feet all day. I can recite in my sleep why our store is closing and what items are and are not on sale. I am plastering on my smile and asking as many people as I can what I can do to help make their shopping experience better. Most of the time this is wonderful. I held a 9 month old baby for about 30 minutes yesterday while his mother shopped. She told me I was helping her out, and that baby was making me happy! A win, win situation!

But today started out all wrong. After lunch, I heard someone say, "OH MY - That baby is throwing up." I looked over and a child, who could not have been more than 6 months old was projectile vometing, Exorcist style, onto the floor. When I turned around again, the mother had fled the store!! Suddenly, everyone looked very busy. Well, we can't really leave throw up on the floor so I went and got some paper towels. I thought I was going to have some reflux issues myself. This prompted everyone to ask me, "So, do you still want kids?" Of course I want kids! My kids aren't going to projectile vomit on the floor, and I sure as heck am not going to run out of the store if the do! I would apologize and offer to clean it up. How many people wouldn't?

And then....3 minutes before I was supposed to leave work, a lady came to the counter. Maybe it was my misunderstanding, but we were not communicating well. I told her how cute her children were and reminded her that everything she was buying was a final sale. She wanted to know her items would be after the markdown, and I asked her if she actually wanted me to ring her up or just give her an estimate with the calculator. This is when the trouble started.

Customer: "I said, ring those up!"

Me: "Ok, your total is...."

Customer: "Well, then I certainly don't want that third item."

Me: (Of course you don't). "Ok, well if you want to just slide your credit card here...

Customer: I am paying cash. (You should have seen the daggers coming out of her eyes. Her arms were crossed and I was pretty sure she wanted to reach across the counter and strangle me. Sorry my ESP was not working lady. 99% of the world uses credit cards these days).

Me: Ok, well than your total is....

Customer: "Where is your manager? Because I bet he would love it if you wanted to roll your eyes at him."

Me: "Ma'am, I am sorry that you thought I rolled my eyes, but that was not my intention. "

Customer: "Really because you just did it again."

Me: (At this point I am so over it. I want to just throw something at her.) I calmly gave her her change and said, "Thank you, have a wonderful day."

Customer: No comment...."You know, you should really think about your actions because I think that your face is a poor representation for the company that you work for.

Me: "Ok, have a great day!!!!"

I started ringing the next person up and had to stop in the middle of the transaction and run to the back because I was crying. When did people get so mean? Our regional manager was there and I was just waiting to get in trouble. She was so sympathetic. She told me that these are the people that cannot afford to buy things in our store and then get even more angry when they realize this. I thought that was an interesting point, and actually believe there is a lot of truth behind it.

So after I cried and left work, I went to the grocery store to get some things for dinner, as well as a large bottle of wine. Three glasses later, I am still angry with this woman, but not so hurt. I recognize that something was (hopefully) going on with her to make her so grumpy and I am trying not to let this ruin my night. Just look out lady. Karma is a bitch.

3 comments:

  1. Jenny, first of all, I love your blog - you are a great writer. Second, hopefully the bitch got hit by a bus today.

    Smile. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree witht he above....KARMA! Keep posting because you truly have great things to say and really speak to a lot of us! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete