Thursday, May 28, 2009

Running is a Full Contact Sport

Obviously, all of these entries cannot be about the South. It would be too depressing for me and too boring for those who are reading it. So, I will also be writing about the random day to day occurences that seem only to happen to me. As I referred to previously, I have a broken elbow from a spill I took while running. Just as background, this is not the first time that I have injured myself doing something that most people do to relax. Some may call me clumsy. You may make your own judgment at the end of this post.

I grew up around running. My parents used to run together, and when I got old enough, I would ride my bike while my dad ran beside me. I actually ran into a car on my bike doing that, but again, another story. Later, I began running with my dad. My father is an aggressive runner. He fully believes, as I do, that pedestrians have the right of way. If a car pulls up too close to him when he is running, he will actually hit the hood. If this has happened to anyone in the Birmingham area, that was probably my father. I apologize for both of us.

In 2003, my friend and I were running and both stepped on a sewer grate at the exact same time. The grate flipped up in the air, and my friend fell into the ground, her foot trapped under the metal plate. I got out of the hole, but had a huge gash on my thigh from where the grate scraped me as it was falling towards my friend. When we actually got the grate off my friend, she had to run to the car and pick me up so, in my words, "I wouldn't bleed to death." Our roommates thought we had been mugged when we actually arrived home. Looking down at that scar now, I probably should have gotten stitches. I also probably should have sued the city, and maybe I wouldn't be in the financial predicament I am in now!

About five weeks ago, I went for a run. I was on the last stretch, running down the hill to our condo. Some call it a runner's high, others may be focusing on picking up their time for that last quarter mile. I was just not paying attention. I was rocking out to my IPod when I tripped over the sidewalk and went flying forwards. I tried to do the, "stop, drop and roll" move that they teach you in elementary school, but my momentum was too strong. I put my arms out in front of me to keep from damaging my face, and skidded to a stop on my left side. THEN I completed the roll into the grass. I am not sure how long I laid there dazed and bloody, but I know that none of the cars that drove past stopped to see if I was ok. Luckily I was so close to home, I was able to stumble down the hill and get into our apartment. Mike's face was so surprised. Usually the injuries that I create in my head do not constitute this type of reaction!

Four days later, when I couldn't pick up a toothbrush, we went to the doctor. I found out it was my elbow that was broken (who does that??) and I had sprained my wrist. I have been in a sling for the past five weeks and told not to run. (Yes, I asked the doctor in a sweet southern twang if it would be ok if I ran just a little bit.) Two days later I tripped on something in our room and fell to the floor, putting out my broken arm to brace my fall. I returned to the doctor, who showed me that the fracture had gotten bigger. (Again, no running allowed.) I will be returning for another visit next Tuesday. Will keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. Jen, yes you pri should have sued the city back then, but you were not raised to be vengeful and so I'm imagining it didn't occur to you. Also, I did not realize you fell on your arm again and further fractured it shortly after. I also did not know Dad hits car hoods when he is running. I'm learning so much through this blog!!

    ReplyDelete