Thursday, June 18, 2009

26.2 What??

A friend of mine here in St. Louis, and I, convinced each other a few months ago to sign up for the Chicago marathon. At the time, it seemed like a brilliant idea. We had ample time to train - the race is October 11th - and I have always said that I wanted to complete the 26.2 miles. I paid my $115 entry fee and thought I was on my way. Today during my run, I began to get scared.

My friend Ellen and I trained for the Mercedes Marathon in Birmingham, 2003, but I ended up running the half (13.1 miles) because I was having hip problems. I was never able to experience that feeling of accomplishment I saw in my friend when she crossed the finish line. She actually started crying, and although I am not sure if it was relief, pain or happiness, I have always wanted to experience these feelings for myself. Since then, I have been talking about how I am going to run a marathon, but haven't actually committed to it. The problem with committing to a training program is that it is for an extended period of time, and it is rigorous. I cannot tell you how many times Ellen came into my room at 5:30 am to get me up for our runs. I am so not a morning person. I always asked her, "Are you sure you want to go?" or I pretended to be in a deep sleep. But we ran, rain or shine, and transformed our bodies into the machines needed to conquer these miles.

Later that year when Mike and I met, I told him I was training for a marathon. I think we both told a little white lie to impress each other. He told me that he loved to run (he has never run a day in his life) and I never actually completed that marathon I was training for. Since then, he has not believed me when I told him that "this year is the year of the marathon."

However, the money is paid and I just need to get my body in shape. Some time ago, I read that running marathons reduces your life span by seven years. I am extremely gullible, so I took that statistic and ran (no pun intended) with it. Then I started thinking - if you get run over by a bus, are people going to say, "Man, if only she hadn't run that marathon, she would have another seven years." Let's be honest, I don't really see the negatives to a long distance run.

I know it is going to be grueling. I ran four miles (only 22.2 to go) today, in the sweltering heat. After 25 minutes, I thought I was going to faint, and at 35 minutes, I was pretty sure I might throw up. I am attributing some of this to my enormous intake of coffee today, combined with lack of water, however, considering it is only early June, I cannot see this summer training being "comfortable." But I am going to do this. I am going to cross the finish line, regardless of how long it takes me. Everyone that I have spoken with that has completed this daunting task has told me I will become addicted to the thrill of finishing the race. We shall see. In the meantime, I need more songs for my I-Pod. I know that I don't have enough to entertain me for at least 4 hours, and would love to hear your suggestions for good, inspirational work out music. I already have "Born to Run" by Springsteen on there....would love to hear your thoughts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment