Thursday, June 4, 2009

So I Think I Can Dance

Do you ever think about what your life would be like if you were cast in some of the current reality shows? Do you ever think while watching these shows, "Hey - that could totally be me leaping around the stage while an entire nation gives me a standing ovation" or, "Of course I could sing acapella to Celine Dion's "Titanic" and make everyone, including Paula Abdul and Simon, cry?" These are the things I like to think about while I am watching television. A disclaimer: I do not sing, and have never attempted to be good at it, and while I grew up dancing, I am well aware that I could never compete with the likes of those who make it through Vegas week and begin the treacherous journey through "So You Think You Can Dance" (herein after know as SYTYCD.)

But isn't it fun to imagine?

Last summer when I watched SYTYCD, I told Mike over and over that I should try out for the show. I jumped and twirled around the house attempting to show him how talented I was. This is part of the reason I am always bruised. I try to do things I have no business even thinking about. Don't even ask about American Idol. Luckily, Mike and I were always long distance when this show was on, so I would sing into the phone and say, "Wasn't that good?? I should totally try out, right??" Usually, no comment.

How about the Real Housewives of New Jersey? Who wouldn't want to watch "The Real Girlfriends of Birmingham?" (All of us are working, and not all of us are married, but I still think it would be quite entertaining.) If we can watch Sanjia in the jungle this summer, surely someone would like to film me and my daily accomplishments! My newest favorite reality show is Wipeout. This comes on Wednesday evenings and is basically a more complicated Double Dare made for adults. Instead of the trivia and physical challenges, the hour long show is filled with obstacle courses that are hilarious, and probably very painful to the contestants that just can't make it through to the final, firey course. Mike and I laughed and laughed, but then, who is laughing when they walk away with $50,000 for jumping around like a Super Mario Brother?

I don't know if my desire to be on these shows is part of my extroverted personality, and half of the nation is thinking the same thing, or if it was because I was brought up in a family where I was told I could do anything if I set my mind to it. Even watching America's Next Top Model - I know I do not look like a model, have the body of a model, and have never dreamed of being a model, but I always like to strut around after I watch that show. My dad actually told my youngest sister at the dinner table one evening that she should be a model. He didn't tell me or my other sister that. So much for playing favorites.

This summer while the Olympics were on, I told my family if this whole lawyering business did not work out, I would just run the marathon in the Olympics. No problem...it is looking more and more like I am going to have to work on that goal! So, if you have any secret reality show dreams, I think you should pursue them! Keep dreaming, and look out - any day now, you may turn on the television and I could be smiling right back at you!

No comments:

Post a Comment