Friday, June 26, 2009

Transformers




I am here to give my critique of "Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen" or something like that. Last night Mike surprised me with an impromptu date night. We grabbed some pizza, returned some things back to the mall (the mall is giving us a lot of money back these days) and then went to see a movie. Since I "chose" the last movie (Angels & Demons) I was given a choice between Transformers and Terminator. Ugh. First of all, its not like "Angels & Demons" is some sort of sappy, romantic comedy that Mike had to sit through for 2 hours while the predictable lovers encounter a problem, but find they are meant for each other by the end. But somehow, I am now forced to choose between two movies where I am pretty sure the main characters are made out of metal.

Let me set the atmosphere for you. We were early so we were able to watch everyone file into the theatre. We had forgotten that it was summer and school was out. Where do you go when you can't drive? Ding, ding, ding!!! You are correct - your mom drops you off at the mall/movies. Mike and I were at least 15 years older than most people there. The other super great part was that they all seemed to know each other. They were running around, yelling across the seats and showing off for each other. Of course, three pre-teen boys sat next to me. Thriller. (That was a tribute to the late Michael Jackson.)

I am very strict with my rules when I am watching a movie. I must get to the movie before the previews begin. Check. I HATE it when people talk while the movie is playing, and quite honestly, I don't like it when they talk when the previews are rolling either. There have been too many stare downs between me and the person behind me when I ask them to please be quiet, so I am trying to loosen up, at least during the previews. Another thing that drives me crazy is when people pull their cell phones out to check their missed calls, or texts, during the movie. I feel like there is a spotlight coming from their seat into my eye and it really distracts me. Besides, if you are already there with friends, who else do you need to talk to? I understand an emergency, but I didn't see any tweens running out of the theater in a panic. They were probably texting each between each row!

So, once my new found 15 year friends sat down next to me, one of them started yelling to his friend, "Carter" across the room. Just the name, and for no obvious reason. I thought he might have Turrets Syndrome, because "Carter" was not answering back. Maybe this guy made up a friend. Who knows, but three different times during the movie, "Carter" was called. Next my buddy opened and closed his phone every minute of the 2 hour 30 minute long movie. Don't know who he was texting because "Carter" was just in the other row, but that drove me nuts. Mike taught me later that this was the 15 year old's way of "asserting his masculinity." Good thing he didn't ask me. I thought he looked stupid.

Now this is all BEFORE the movie even starts. Once we get through the previews and the movie begins, I think, "this may not be so bad. It seems humorous, and I got through most of the other one before I fell asleep." Suddenly Megan Fox comes onto the screen, straddling a motorcycle, wearing cut offs that didn't even look like there was anything left to cut. The ENTIRE movie theatre moaned. It was disgusting. I felt like I was in some dirty movie, when actually, Harry Potter was playing in the theater across from mine. "Carter's" friend beside me started to use some language that is not appropriate for a blog, a teenager, or really anyone. Mike and I just looked at each other and started laughing.

For the most part, the movie was fine. I would not suggest that you run out and see it, but if you do, please use your student discount as we do. (Hope you haven't thrown that away!) By the end I was getting tired of the incessant moaning and cursing next to me, and I couldn't tell who the bad metal monsters were in comparison to the good metal monsters. And why were they fighting again? Of course, Mike walked out thinking it was the most wonderful movie. Why do guys love movies with no plot, as long as multiple things are getting blown up? Who knows, why do we like dramatic movies, where someone dies at the end? Mars v. Venus. At least I get to pick the next movie!

1 comment:

  1. I saw the movie on Sunday night - at least you had a choice b/w two evils (or something like that). Lucky for me, Carter's friend wasn't in Bham and apparently there's some sort of new curfew so there were very few obnoxious teenagers there (thank goodness!!). I also almost made it through the first one without sleeping...actually it took me 3 tries b/f I finished it (the last hour being right before leaving for the 2.5 hour sequel) -yay! I agree with you - her shorts were way too short, I didn't know who was a good robot and who was bad for at least the first 1/2 of the movie, and there was very little plot - but at least I had a good time :-)

    ReplyDelete