Friday, June 19, 2009

I Quit....

So I am once again unemployed. After a lot of thought and rehearsing what I was going to say over the dinner table, I quit my job. When we were notified that our store was closing about six weeks ago, we were told that we would either receive a severence package or be relocated to another Pottery Barn store. A number for our regional manager was posted "To please call with any questions" but when my co-workers called, she never seemed to get back to them. Additionally, I began to hear rumors that there were no openings at any of the other stores, so relocation was truly not an option.

Almost every day for the last month, we have asked our store managers what our severence package would look like, but no one seemed to have a clue. I understand and am realistic - I know that I have only been working with this company for nine months, but I did expect some sort of compensation, as we are all being thrown back into the world of unemployment. (By the way, I was employee of the month in April! Shouldn't that count for something?)

I began to think about what I wanted to ask this manager when she came for her visit. I felt like I had been told lies to maintain my employment with the store until it closed. When I got to work today I asked to speak with "Jane." I asked her about my severence package and she said that she had no idea what the amount would be. When I reminded her that we were promised a two week notice of what the compensation would look like, she suddenly was able to tell me. 10 hours. That is what we are getting paid. This is based on the "average employee's work week." I tried to stay calm and explain that I was working at least 20 -30 hours a week, and this was not a fair package. I understand that life is not fair, but come on! This was a slap in the face.

I also confronted Jane about the lack of jobs available for relocation. She apologized and then tried to tell me the economony is not doing well, so it is hard to place people in new environments. Now my blood is boiling. Does she not think that I am aware that the economy is crap? Does she know that I have a graduate degree and cannot find a job anywhere?? Of course she doesn't, but I felt like she was being very condescending.

Finally, I asked why I was scheduled to work 25 hours next week when our store is supposed to close on Sunday. (The store looks like a flea market, and people are treating it as such. There is a strong possibility today would be our last day open to the public.) "Oh!" She replied. "You will be cleaning floors, and driving merchandise back and forth between this store and the other store." Nope. That's when I told her today would be my final day. Are you kidding me? Scrubbing floors? I don't think that is what I had in mind when I signed my contract, and I can assure you that I would rather be scrubbing floors at home (I don't do that anyway) than doing it in the mall for a 10 hour compensation package.

I stayed for a few more hours until it was evident that there were enough employees to take care of all 2 customers that were in the store. As a final "kick you while you're down" moment, my manager asked for my discount card on my way. I told him I lost it. I am sure that you can find a way to stop me from buying towels at a discount through the computer.

I came home and started pacing around the house. Did I do the right thing? What in the heck am I going to do with myself now? I was still walking around and stopping to stare at random spots in the condo when Mike got home. As soon as he came back, I fell apart, and then decided to get in the bed. (What else could I do? We didn't have any ice cream!) So, now I am going to take a night to relax and deal with my semi-dramatic life in the morning. All I know at this point is that I am glad we are stocked up on Raman Noodles.

1 comment:

  1. Eggs are a good and cheap source of food too, you don't just have to stick to raman noodles! What a crazy story, Jenny, I'm sure you'll find work soon and let's hope it's at a more respectable store! Gee whiz, you think PB would be more responsible. xo

    ReplyDelete