Monday, June 29, 2009

Bachelor Pad

When I moved to STL, I was lucky enough to move into a beautiful condo that Mike purchased when he moved here. His mother is a wonderful interior decorator and decorated the place as well as she could with Mike's constant concern that the rooms would be too "girly." When I moved in, I brought lots of pictures and girly things that were suddenly ok to put out because "now a girl lives here." How a girl living in the condo makes it suddenly ok to own a magazine rack, I don't understand, but I went with it.


I have slowly been trying to add some warm touches to the very oatmeal and tan area. I wanted to paint some accent walls, but since we will be selling in close to a year, it seems as though it is not worth the trouble. I would have to paint the walls back to a neutral color as soon as I painted my maroon wall! I did get to go to Target the other day and buy some curtains which I am excited to put up, and always try to keep flowers on the table.

Ok, sorry if you are falling asleep, but I have to show you the part of the bachelor pad that Mike is most proud of, and that I cannot get rid of! This is what hangs in our bedroom.







It is hard to see through the pictures how monstrous this thing is. Aside from the fact that it is bigger than the television we have in the den, this movie screen extends and rotates on a metal arm. "This way we can see it perfectly from the bed!" Mike tells me. Yes, and so can everyone else that lives on our street.

I did not have a tv in my room growing up, and have to have complete quiet and darkness when I am trying to fall asleep. Clearly, this television poses a problem to my demands. After me complaining constantly about how loud the television was, I went and bought ear plugs. I have tried a variety of kinds, which also help with my significant other's constant snoring. In addition, I specially ordered an eye mask off the internet! The first one I bought was from Target, but was not thick enough to block out all the light from this television! I am happy with the one that I have now. (And it smells like Lilac, which is an added bonus!)


Have you seen the infomercial where the older couple is laying in bed and the wife is yelling, "Turn that down!" That is what our relationship was turning into. Thank goodness Mike's parents were gracious enough to give us their cordless headphones. These things have been a god-send. Only problem, the battery seems to last for about 5 minutes. We are still working on that small issue.


There are multiple other issues I could write about, that relate to turning a bachelor pad into a place where a girl WANTS to live, but I will save it for another day. Let's just say that right now we have a wall that is completely covered with pictures of outerspace. As my Grandma always says, "A woman's work is never done!"

Hope you have a wonderful Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jenny- I love your blog!! I can relate to so much but especially the bachelor pad! When John Paul and I got married I sold my very cute girly house and moved into his tan and white bachelor pad. This house also happened to be the house his dad grew up in- and hasn't changed since he was a little kid. Not only did JP not want to change anything neither did his dad, mom, aunt and uncles! I have never seen people be so attached to a house and the stuff that came with it! Almost 6 months later we are finally making it OUR home. Man, I had my hands full! Thanks for sharing-you make me smile!

    ReplyDelete