Monday, June 15, 2009

A Small Tribute

I am writing two posts tonight. Partly because I can't sleep, and partly because I want to get everything down before I move on to different subjects and the stories are irrelevant. As you know, I was in Birmingham over the weekend and had the pleasure of meeting up with four of my very closest friends. I believe that it is extremely rare to find friends that click with you when you are 11, and still have something in common with you almost 20 years later. I am lucky enough to have four of them.

As I said earlier, I came to Birmingham to meet my best friend's new boyfriend. This friend is even more of a diamond in the rough. We have known each other since we were 2, and have been by each other's side ever since. Since we grew up together, have fought like sisters and know everything about each other, it was only natural that I meet, and later interrogate her new boyfriend. (Again Em - sorry about the "late night" questioning! For the readers...my liquid courage made me ask some questions that were absolutely none of my business!)

With everyone in town in once, there was cause for celebration!. We had drinks, dinner and more drinks. When the new boyfriend walked into the bar, I felt a little sorry for him. We had been waiting on him all night, thinking seriously about what we would ask him. He probably thought he had walked into the lion's den. We all sat and stared at him, waiting intently for him to say something. After a minute, we began firing questions. Only the best for our friend!! I have to say, he passed with flying colors.

And so the tribute begins. Usually one has friends that serve different purposes in your life. You have the friend that you know will make you laugh when you are upset, but another who will simply listen to you cry. You have the friend who tells you to get over it and find something else to focus your energy on, while another encourages you to pursue dreams that you never thought possible. There is the one who will keep your secret until the end of time, and the one who has known your family forever, and knows what questions to ask and what questions to avoid. The best thing about my friends is that they do not have one of these qualities. Each young lady encompasses all of them.

I love spending time with my childhood friends because we laugh until our stomachs and faces hurt, usually reminiscing about high school and middle school. We catch up on everyone's life and their latest accomplishments, and throw in a little gossip too! The best thing about these girls is that I can spend 6 months without corresponding with them, but as soon as we see each other, it is like it has only been a few hours since our last meeting. Thank you ladies for your friendship - it means the world to me!!
(And yes, I know. I am only friends with attractive people!)


1 comment:

  1. Aaaawwww, that is so sweet I am tearing up. I agree with everything you said. It is so great to have such great friends. It is so funny how we are all so different, yet together you get a little bit of everything. I think it is time to plan a weekend trip...

    ReplyDelete