Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Aftermath

Oh y'all. I'm upset. As you may know, around noon yesterday, Snowmeggedon 2014 hit Birmingham, AL. If you're not from Birmingham, you probably didn't know that it started this early - Atlanta wasn't hit until 4:00 that afternoon. That's when the national news began reporting and it actually became an emergency. The problem is, by then people in Alabama had already been stuck in their cars for hours. Highways were frozen over. Roads were impassable.



My parents are still in Birmingham, along with the majority of the people I grew up with. At 10:15 am, I received a text from a friend with a picture of the snow as she drove to pick her two year old up from daycare. "Ummm, it's a blizzard in Bham!!" she wrote, and sent a picture of falling snow. I chuckled and told Mike, "It's snowing in Birmingham!" He smiled and said, "You wish you were there, don't you?" And I did. The South is known for panicking during cold weather, and I guessed my friend would pick up her child and enjoy a few snow days snuggled up with her loved ones. I was actually a little bit jealous.

But my friend kept texting and I could tell by her words that things weren't so funny anymore. "It's awful. I'm sliding all over the place and can't get to [her child's] school." Traffic was a mess because Birmingham is in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains and there are hills. LOTS of steep, winding hills that were now covered in ice. Between 10:15 and 12:30, my friend inched along in her car, waiting to get to the school. She arrived home with her daughter, and a bonus child, her nephew. My friend's sister had been unable to get to the school and her husband was stranded at Wal-Mart. As far as I know, he's still there. Two hours in the car ended up being a short trip.

I pulled up Facebook and saw dozens of updates from people who were stuck in traffic. EVERYONE was on the road, trying to make it home from work, pick up their kids from school, or both. I emailed my father and asked him to please be careful. He wrote back, "It's hardly snowing."  He's from Virginia and tends not to worry when there is white precipitation coming down. My "Yankee" father ended up walking 3.5 miles home from work last night because the street was a strip of ice. No hat, coat or gloves because this sort of thing just doesn't happen in Alabama. Luckily, a sweet lady at his office loaned him a scarf that he used to wrap around his neck.

Y'all, it's bad. People are stuck on the roads, in drug stores, and at work. Hundreds of children, teachers and parents spent the night in schools last night. A lady gave birth on the highway. Thousands of people braved single digit temperatures in their cars because there was no place else to go. People are dying.

This has nothing to do with Southerners overreacting. It's not funny. When I moved to St. Louis, my first winter was tough. I did not own scarves, hats or gloves because I had never needed them before. Most of my coats had only been purchased to accent an outfit. It would have been a waste of money for me to purchase these items and let them sit in the the closet, year after year, "just in case" snow came to Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama. Similarly, Birmingham, Atlanta and many other Southern cities have not invested in hundreds of snow plows and salting trucks. Our money and knowledge is focused on keeping people safe during hurricanes and tornadoes. That's what we're used to. I have been shocked by the nasty comments I have seen in response to these events. This morning I read this, in response to a CNN article focused on the Atlanta city shut down:

"People have no sense. Keep a kit in your car, and get off the road if you're not moving. Sleeping in your car, or waiting it out in a hotel is much better than paying your insurance deductible and going through the claims process. Slow down and take it as a time for some personal reflection. I have waited out tornados in K-mart, Severe rain storms in Walmart, and traffic jams in restaurants. Stop being in such a hurry to get where your going, you'll get there eventually, and will be less stressed than sitting in traffic fighting for those precious inches to get home."

I am amazed. People HAVE been waiting. They are not in a hurry. They have been stuck on the road for TWELVE hours! I don't recall anyone saying such ugly things when tornadoes hit Moore, Oklahoma or Hurricane Sandy hit New Jersey. You know why? Because people are hurting, and making fun of the situation does not help anyone. It is not funny when a natural disaster hits an area that is unprepared for it. No amount of sarcasm is going to improve the situation.

Fortunately, most people are nice, particularly in the South. Put a National Disaster in front of a group of Southerners and they turn into saints. Many people opened their homes to strangers last night. Facebook friends reported where they lived and that their houses were open - for anyone. Chili, hot chocolate and stiff drinks were ready and waiting as people who had never met were ushered into each other's homes. Men were out on four-wheelers rescuing people who were stuck in cars. (Who's laughing now at those red necks who go muddin'?) Kindness prevailed. Love wins.

This is not anyone's fault. This is not the meteorologist's fault, or the school's fault or the government's fault. Meteorologists are getting nasty, nasty things written to them. Birmingham's own James Spann apologized in a blog post this morning, writing:

"I guess I know how Cade Foster feels (the University of Alabama place kicker who took heat after the Auburn game).

If you are know anything about college football, you know how badly he must be feeling.

There is no one to blame. It is just a huge mess and people need help. People need to be supported. People need to be loved. So please, stop making fun and see what you can do to help. If there is nothing you can do, that's ok. Just be kind. Be empathetic. Believe me, the people in the Southeast are wishing they were "snowed in" with a half inch of fluffy white stuff too.




23 comments:

  1. Atlanta was actually hit around lunch time, not 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. beside the point, is that ALL you carried away from this?

      Delete
    2. God bless "Atlanta" missing the point......2p/4p/6p/8p does it really matter? Outcome just as bad!

      Delete
    3. Obviously it matters to you...God bless EVERYONE touched by this winter storm.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for writing this. I am a teacher with 4 small kids. We stayed the night with all the school kids not because we couldn't get home, but because they couldn't be with their mommas. We were their stand in momma for the night. Most of the teachers only slept for about 20 minutes at a time,checking on kids all night to make sure they were still covered and warm. No amount of being prepared could have prevented what happened. It came on hard and fast. Everyone was trying to get to their kids at the same time ON ICE. It really isn't about who is at fault, it's about getting everyone home safely. Today, I am proud to be a teacher and proud to be an Alabamian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for what you did! I know so many moms out there who were sick about their children being away for the night. The biggest comfort is that they trust and love their teachers, who went above and beyond what they had been asked to do. I hope you get some good rest and stay warm!

      Delete
  3. Very well written. I grew up in Wisconsin and all my family is still up there. My mom, who is 75 years old, called me last night to make sure we were ok. She knows if she hears something on the national news about Alabama, it must be bad. The snow came quickly and a lot of it. But it doesn't matter how much snow you get, when that snow turns to ice when it hits the roads, there is going to be problems. And whether you live in the south or the north, you can't travel in these conditions. I have never seen anything like this before and hope to never see it again. Yes, in the north, they are prepared for storms like this. In the south it would be financially crazy to purchase the equipment needed to plow, salt and sand the roads. It was amazing how people came together and helped each other. And how the teachers, adminstrators, SRO's, office staff and all other school staff member stayed to love on those children who's parents couldn't make it home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaaaaaa-MEN!! People just don't get it. We don't have the infrastructure. We just aren't prepared. Period. People can be so ugly. I guarantee there will be no viral "This will restore your faith in humanity" photographs because being Southern is so synonymous with being nice that no one will think of our being kind to strangers as that extraordinary...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for writing this. I live in Birmingham and was unable to make it home until today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for writing this. I made it home in 2 hours which usually takes 20 minutes. Buts its due to southern hospitality or I'd still be on the side of the road. Several of our friends are still stranded somewhere away from home, so I'm one of the lucky ones. Keep all those still trying to get home in your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I was stranded on I20 between the two Leeds exits for over 12 hours. Good Samaritans on 4-wheelers brought me water and crackers and then later gas to keep my car running. Another Samaritan woke me at 2:30 to tell me how to navigate abandoned cars to get on the move. After leaving work between 12:30 and 1 I arrived home at 3:45 AM. Normal drive time 30 minutes on a busy day. I have recently had back surgery and could not chance abandoning my car and walking on the ice. Thankful for those Good Samaritans that put their lives on the line getting out to help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen! And thank y'all to writers, bloggers and such that tried to "explain" this to the rest of the country. Thanks but we in Alabama .. Birmingham to be exact, do not need anyone "explaining" anything to the rest of the nation. Laugh, chuckle, guffaw, make a snide comment if you like, but the people in this city and in this state are the people, ANY of you would want when an earthquake, flood, tornado, etc happens to you! And you know what, we will be there because that is who we are! We are neighbors, families, friends that will step up and fight for love and safety of the residents of our communities. So get out that big laugh, Yankees.... We can take it, we are from the South.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in Wisconsin but have family in Alabama, one of them being a cop, who was out helping. They are prepared for this type of weather, due to visiting us in the north. I have been following the news, internet, weather channel, and their FB pages, and Kudos to the people who are helping, opening their homes, the teachers, and anyone else that went out of the way in the storm to help another human being. That is what we should be doing on a daily basis, giving a little bit of ourselves each day to help each other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so grateful that you wrote this. You articulated what the rest of us (who have a shred of decency) were thinking and feeling, and you did a beautiful job. I noticed as well that Birmingham, and my town of Gadsden, had already been "frozen in place" for hours before the news announced the wintry horror that had hit Atlanta. Even when 208 tornadoes hit our state April 27, 2011, the media was focused elsewhere as fast as it had a reason to shift focus and not lose face.
    I guess we are going to have to admit what we've always known ~ the rest of the nation thinks that people who live in Alabama are playing short of a full deck. They believe we are undereducated, inbreeding idiots, and they have no problem letting us know they feel this way.
    That's alright, Alabama. We know the truth - and we know why, to this very day, we can hold our heads up with pride when we claim our home state as our own. The only people who look like idiots in light of the reality of the circumstances of this storm are the ones who think that suddenly, vehicles without chains or snow tires can gain traction on solid ice while trying to navigate winding roads and extremely steep hills. They are the ones who enjoy laughing and telling us how stupid we are.
    If they are ever traveling through our state and happen to get caught in a situation such as this, or such as April 27, 2011 when 208 tornadoes ripped through our state and we couldn't wait on FEMA like other cities did, because people will DIE that way --- they better pray to God that one of these stupid, redneck people that they think we are takes mercy on them, and that we open our doors with safety and comfort and love for our fellow man waiting inside, no matter what they've had to say about us.
    Prayers for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "That's alright, Alabama. We know the truth - and we know why, to this very day, we can hold our heads up with pride when we claim our home state as our own."
      I love that. Yes. My parents now have new friends, a couple from Chicago driving down to Florida who got stuck here. They opened their house and their hearts and now have friends to visit up North. I freaking LOVE my state.

      Delete
    2. That's wonderful! I know you are proud :) God bless you, your parents, and their new friends! You are part of the people who make me hold my head up high because I was born and raised in this awesome State!

      Delete
  11. Sometimes life and weather throw you a curve ball. You are spot on about the kindness of strangers. In our state, the S word can mean something or it can mean nothing so the best plan is to be prepared and proactive. Fill your tank, get your groceries, keep the kids home if need be and have some emergency provisions in your car just In case you do have to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christian KyserJanuary 30, 2014 at 2:03 PM
    Finally someone said something. Im glad you made the point about the hills and people not having gloves, scarfs, hats or heavy jackets. I saw someone say they wont feel sorry for the people that had to walked and if they had a hard time then they need to go to the gym...it wasnt the walking that was the problem it waswalking in 12 degree weather without being properly dressed. Also like there are never any wrecks or roads closures in the north due to snow and ice. Probably 90% of Birmingham and surrounding areas consist of people who have NEVER had to drive on snow or ice! I think the stupid ones are the people comparing northerners to southerners cause we are very different.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so angry that we (Birmingham) was hit first before Atlanta and yet Atlanta gets all the news about it... What about us??? The Weather Channel, CNN, all of the news media practically ignored us and probably because of how little they think of us and that we aren't worth mentioning... Just like with the April 27, 2011 tornadoes... We didn't get much national news coverage because they had to focus on "other important things"... Let another state be hit by massive tornadoes and they are right there to report it... We had the same exact issues with people being stuck on the roads and having to leave their cars and walk miles and miles for help that Atlanta had but I guess to the national news media and weather channel we are just a bunch of uneducated hicks and not worth mentioning whereas Atlanta is the "big happening city" of the south... Yes I agree that they need to be in the news... Of course they do... This is a horrible thing to happen and such an ordeal but we should be treated with the same respect as them and any other place in this country who have weather disasters...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I live in the Atlanta metro area. Snow started here before noon, and by the time I left work at 3 traffic was already a huge mess. It took me 8 hours to drive 8 miles, then I ended up stranded 9 miles from home at about 11 pm. My husband was is a similar situation. He couldn't even get to the east side of 400 on Holcomb Bridge Rd. He found out hours later it was because of all of the vehicles that has been stranded, ran out of gas, or abandoned. The road was simply impassible. He turned around and spent the night in a grocery store parking lot. Like my husband and I, thousand of people spent the night in cars, stores, and other businesses that remained open for their warmth. I was fortunate. I had fueled up on Sunday, so had plenty of gas to be able to run my car all night to stay warm. Others were not as fortunate and had to walk to find warm shelter. The up side to all of this was the human compassion that was displayed over and over again. People handing out bottled water and food to those stranded. I was the recipient of kindness twice. Shortly after finding my self stuck for the night, a couple came by offering hot coffee and water bottles. The next morning a man from the neighborhood that I remained stranded in offered me a cutie orange and a bottle of water. I say thank you to all of those men and women who put their safety on the line to bring compassion and comfort to those of us that were stranded.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm an expatriate of Birmingham. Grew up there & lived there for most of my life.

    Now I live in St. Paul, where people have recently asked me how my hometown can shut down for 2" of snow. And I've found that you just can't explain to anybody up here why Birmingham doesn't have:
    • Snow emergencies
    • Snowplows
    • Snow-ready infrastructure

    Why? Because everybody I know these days grew up in Minneapolis/St. Paul. They take it for granted because they've never lived without it. My biggest argument for the taunting is this statement:

    You realize that if Birmingham invested in snowplows, they'd sit somewhere rusting until the next "snowpocalypse." It's a colossal waste of money & resources.

    I'll be honest though. When this first happened, I called to make sure my mom was okay in Trussville (which she was). But outside of that, my initial response was to be one of those Southern boys mocking my home state on FB. But I stepped back, remembered how I was raised & decided against it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a Yankee by birth I can personally testify that in icy conditions they are no better at driving than people here in the South. It is all relative. Every part of the country has its own set of weather phenomenon to deal with. Why make fun of what you're not used to?

    ReplyDelete