Monday, June 22, 2009

And My Role is...?

If you have been reading my blog, you know that I am recently unemployed. This leaves me at home as a...what? I am not a housewife, as I have no children and am missing that little legal document that would confirm my status as a wife. So, I have become a house co-habitator. This is an interesting role, as it is very boring, yet stressful at the same time.

I have no idea how mothers run households. I called my mother today to tell her that running a household was tough. She didn't say anything, but I'm sure she was thinking, "What exactly are you running up there?" I am suddenly in a role where I have no excuse not to complete tasks because I have been at work all day. Suddenly, the laundry is there, waiting on me to fold and put it away. I actually love to iron, so that is not much of an issue, but what about this whole cooking thing?

It never phased me when our family of 5 sat down for dinner and immediately 4 voices chimed in complaining that they didn't like something, or that "We just ate this the other day." My youngest sister refused to eat anything green and/or crunchy (that is every vegetable.) I'm sure my mother loved it when I began gagging on something that she made for dinner. (That really did happen..and I never had to eat THAT dish again!) As a co-habitator, I feel it is important to provide a healthy dinner for myself and my other co-habitator. Does anyone else feel that if you have proceeded to plan out a week's worth of recipes, go to the grocery store and create a new dinner each night, that complaining about the food should not be allowed? (Mom - I am so sorry.)

Tonight I made pesto, and added chicken and tomatoes to the sauce. I poured it over pasta, whipped together some bread and a salad and felt pretty good about my creation. I think this is the first night we have really had a dinner bomb. I looked over and Mike was pushing his food around his plate like a 5 year old. He had consumed his entire salad (this is rare) and still looked as though he knew he had to eat the pasta and wasn't sure how he was going to get out of it. When he asked me, "Is this algae?" I didn't know how to respond. I actually started laughing because it really wasn't that good in the first place, but that was not the thank you I was expecting!

In addition to providing balanced meals, a co-habitator also takes on the role of all correspondence and any other projects that do not include manual labor. (I have been banned from putting up curtain rods, although I am quite sure I would do a fabulous job.) I return phone calls, answer wedding invitations, and mail out packages. Let's be honest. How exciting can this position get? I think if I had a little one to run around with it may be a different story. My mom reminded me that babies don't talk. I don't need anyone talking to me - I talk to my cat! It would just give me something to do!

Today I drove out to T.J. Max to return some clothes for Mike. It was only when I was 30 minutes out that I realized I was following directions for a place I have to go tomorrow! I called Mike in a panic, and he was able to find a T.J. Max close to me. After all that drama, I had to get myself a Frosty from Wendy's!

I apologize that this post seems to be a stream of consciousness, but that is the way my life feels right now. I am making small lists of things to do each day. Tomorrow - return my new white jeans (apparently fashion is not of high importance when you are poor) and hopefully find Nordstrom's to return another item Mike did not like. Maybe I will even attempt a new recipe.

I think it is time for me to find another job.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, there is a Wendy's in STL? Where did you find it? Secondly, any time you are feeling a little bored, please pop by....we are always up for company....we could discuss meal planning.

    ReplyDelete