Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What Would Ms. Manners Say?

Well, if you noticed, I did write another post less than 12 hours ago. However, I am super bored, have insomnia, and have already run. Not sure what to do with the rest of the day, so I decided to grace you with another blog. Last night I was thinking about how people's manners seem to have waned, especially in the days of cell phones and extravagant technology. This has nothing to do with being Southern. I assure you, although I truly believe that people are generally nicer to your face in the South, there are plenty of Southerners that seem to have forgotten the manners their mama taught them.

Because I am bored and only able to spend money on food, I am at the grocery store a lot. It gets me out of the house and takes up some time. (It is only 1 mile away from our home. Sometimes I go twice a day.) Regardless, the cashiers have begun to recognize me. I made a particular impression on a man in his mid-40's, early 50's when he asked me if I had any coupons. Now, I don't know if this is a new requirement for cashiers to ask about. I guess so we don't forget our neatly clipped coupons in our neatly arranged plastic coupon holder? But I promise you, the people who have the coupons have them out and are ready to save some money! When you ask me, (and I am not a coupon clipper) I just feel bad about myself and my inability to save money. I digress. When I told the cashier, "No, I don't have any coupons" he replied, "You don't really look like the kind of person that would." WHAT?? What does that mean? Do I look super rich and fancy? (If you read this regularly, you know that is not the case.) Do super rich and fancy people not use coupons either? I am pretty sure I was wearing running clothes at the time, so my clothing was not a clue to my non-coupon cutting. What does this mean? (See how I have too much time on my hands? Why am I worrying about what the grocery store cashier thinks of me?)

So, I felt that comment that was inappropriate, particularly regarding how much money I spend at that store! What I also think is rude (while we are at the grocery store) is when people talk on their phones while they are being checked out. Grocery store, retail store, anywhere - it is very difficult for the person behind the counter to help you while you are gabbing about your date the night before. I know it is interesting, but could you please call them back? And I know you think that you are being as efficient as you would be if you were not on the phone, but you're not. You are holding up the line. So hang up the phone and let's get the conveyor belt moving!

Something else I have noticed is that there has been a steep decline of thank you letters since technology became so interactive. I am a HUGE fan of the written letter. If I have taken the time to go out of my way to do something for you (i.e, buy you a wedding gift, baby shower gift, etc) I think you should take a little extra time and write me a note. Even if I didn't buy you something, did I do something for you that was extraordinarily nice? It always makes someone feel good to know that their actions are appreciated. I am not saying that I do things just to be acknowledged for my good deeds, but come on! Throw out a "Thank you for your lovely gift. We will use it often throughout our marriage," stick a stamp on it and you are done! If this is too difficult, please send an email, text or contact me on my facebook page to let me know you got your swag. You are welcome.

Finally, let's talk about borrowing clothes. I am not talking about when you were in 8th grade and swapped your GAP t-shirts with your best friend. We are a little older now, and most of us have some "special occasion" wear that we have invested money in. If you ask to borrow something of mine, I am thrilled! I am excited that you like my sense of style, and quite honestly, I am happy that you will look so cute in MY new halter top! However, if you attend an event that is smoky, or if you spill wine, grape fruit juice or coke on my top/dress/pants please dry clean them. Even if you don't spill anything, that is just the proper thing to do. The piece of apparel was probably straight from the dry cleaners when you got it. Why would you return it in a state less than that? (And make sure you send a text to say thank you!)

Well, that is my rant for the day. Hopefully I will find something to do with my time so that I am not posting again in a few hours. Have a great day today and don't forget to mind your P's and Q's!

No comments:

Post a Comment