Saturday, July 25, 2009

I Have Discovered a Flaw

So I have been reading the Twilight series. I know, it is embarrassing, and I have to go to the Teen section to purchase these books (with my head down) but they are true entertainment. For those of you who are not familiar with these books, (Dad) basically, an 18 year old falls desperately in love with a boy who turns out to be a 100 year old vampire. Oh yeah. She also loves another boy who ends up being a werewolf. Although this sounds ridiculous, and I swore up and down that I would never read them, I have given in, and cannot stop turning the pages!

However, I have discovered a problem, which seems to be a trend in most romantic stories. In cased you haven't noticed, all the passionate words that the handsome, perfect man says in these books do not happen in real life! I read a passage from Twilight to Mike the other day and he rolled his eyes and started laughing. So why do grow up thinking that these things are true?

Now remember, I grew up with no brothers, and maybe that is part of my problem. We didn't watch G.I. Joe or Die Hard. We watched a lot of Disney cartoons where Cinderella and Prince Charming always fall in love and live happily ever after. Why didn't my mom say, "You know Jenny, they may be at the ball dancing, but it probably took him a few drinks to get out there. Most guys are not big dancers." Or perhaps in Beauty and the Beast, "Jenny, it looks as though that tea pot and all her animated china are doing the dishes, but that really is going to be Belle's job." Finally, Jasmine and Aladdin. Did anyone tell Jasmine that she will only be riding on that magic carpet a few times until she is sufficiently impressed? After that, those romantic nights above the clouds are probably going to be few and far between. (And seriously, that's probably the only song he's going to sing to her.)

I understand I sound a little pessimistic and callous here, but why are we teaching young girls that everything is going to turn out perfectly? Maybe I am the only one, but I grew up with this philosophy and then didn't understand what was going on when the fairy tale didn't end happily. But then you have to ask the question, can you have it both ways? I remember I dated a guy very briefly one summer during college. He always said those very sweet things that you want the guy to say, and it drove me crazy! He even brought me a carved rose because that way, "It would never die. Just like his feelings for me." Ugh. My mother thought this was so sweet and was probably planning our wedding while I dumped that flower in the trash. I think I started avoiding his phone calls after that.

Also, do not think that this is an attack against Mike. Without getting mushy, I think he is a great mix between sweet and normal. I personally have to have some sort of balance. I guess that's why they say the nice guys always finish last. If Mike had constantly showered me with compliments and gifts when we first started dating, we probably have broken up a long time ago. However, if he started this behavior now....it would be a whole other story. I might even do the dishes without grumbling. It's a catch-22.

So in the future, my children will watch Disney movies and read romance novels, if they so choose. I will then sit down and talk with them about where the fantasy ends and the reality begins. Maybe this way, the adjustment to real love will not be as confusing!

2 comments:

  1. You are so funny!!! I agree the wood rose was too much and Mike is the perfect balance between normal and sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jenny, i sure enjoy your blogs. nice to see what mike looks like.you inspired me, think i'll ry blogging myself. i likelulabelle-she reminds me of my growing-up cat. hope to see you soon. sandy ( of bill and sandy)

    ReplyDelete