Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I'm Back!!

Dear Faithful Readers:
I am so sorry for the week long delay in my posting. I was surprised at how many people emailed me and asked when my next blog would be. I love it!! I have followers!!

So, the reason I have been MIA for the past week is that I left for South Carolina on Thursday to attend one of my good friend's weddings. I went to law school with the bride, but was introduced to her through one of my best friends from undergrad. Again, such a small world. So I flew into Charleston and my friend from college came to pick me up. I have to tell you, as soon as we landed and the humidity and 100 degree heat encompassed me, I was in love. I had never been to South Carolina, and instantly decided that I would be perfectly happy living there. (This is good because this is one of the places where Mike is hoping to get a job.) The boys were wearing seer sucker, opening doors and the southern accent was as strong as it could get. I couldn't stop smiling.

My friend and I "explored" Columbia until about 3 am. We had a blast. It was wonderful to see her and meet all of her friends. The next morning, we hopped in the car and headed to Florence, SC where the wedding was taking place. This wedding has been quite an ordeal. Initially, the bride wanted to get married in Wyoming, but the couple then decided to get married in Scotland. (I know, it was a little bizarre, but the groom has Scottish roots.) Had this worked out, I'm sure the ceremony and celebration would have been beautiful. Unfortunately, they realized that not very many people can afford a quick weekend trip to Scotland, so they settled on the bride's hometown of Florence.

We stayed in a hotel suite (seriously, there was a full size fridge) with 2 girls from law school and my college friend. We had a blast. I love a girl's weekend. The sink was covered with blow dryers, straighteners, curlers and makeup, and if you have forgotten something, you know one of your roommates brought it. We all got along very well and it was so fun to see everyone. We attended a toast/dessert party after the rehearsal dinner where I gave a speech, and I have to say, it was one of my best. Usually mine are hit or miss. I either start babbling and crying, but this was a good one! ;-) The next morning was the bridal brunch and we had chicken fried chicken and GRITS!!!! I was savoring my cheese grits - it is not fair that I only get grits once a year!!

After the brunch we laid out at the pool for a couple of hours and got ready for the wedding. Of course the bride was beautiful, the band and food was great and we had a blast. The most amazing part for me was that the bride's aunt MADE HER WEDDING CAKE!! And it was delicious. The groom told me that he carried the 80 pound cake into the reception earlier that day...I didn't tell him that it seemed to be on a tilt. So we danced and let me tell you - my rendition of "Shout" left me out of breath and pouring sweat. Apparently I have to get in shape for weddings now! The funniest thing was when we all dropped to the floor for "a little bit softer now," you could hear a groan from all the "older" people dancing.

OH! And the best part was, an 18 year old asked me to dance! I was lauging so hard when he realized that I was definitely not 18. He was dancing and singing to the music - so carefree. I said, "Oh you sing too, huh?" His reply - "There is music inside of all of us; you just have to let it out!" I think I need to get back in that mindset! I wanted to tell him, "My 31 year old boyfriend would be so impressed with me!" But I thought that might be a little scary for him. He was just so naive!

Ok, I am wrapping this up. This is more of an itinerary than a blog entry. I got to the ATL airport Sunday and was told that my flight was overbooked. They were offering some Delta points to anyone who would give up their seat and fly out the next day. As Mike said, "Please don't get your feelings hurt, but you really don't have anything to do." Fair point. So, I jumped up and gave away my seat. I stayed with Mike's sister, brother in law and their baby. Monday we went to music class for the child, which was hilarious, and then I was on a flight back home.

So, I am back to the grind and will never leave you hanging for a week again. I will say this. Our condo looks like a bachelor lived here for 5 days. None of the leftovers I had in the fridge were eaten and there was a huge pile of dishes in the sink. (Don't worry - the dishwasher was empty.....) So I am getting back to work and the reality of life. I think I need to find my inner music!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment