Friday, July 3, 2009

A Slippery Slope

WARNING: This post involves a lot of me feeling sorry for myself, but I try to beef it up with some humor. Read at your own risk!

Today marks one week since I have been unemployed. I knew eventually the day would come when I would not enjoy the feeling of being able to sleep in and knowing that I had absolutely nothing to do that day. Well, it has arrived. Actually, it arrived yesterday. I don't know why, but I woke up in a horrible mood. I was even annoyed at my running partner because she was running too fast (sorry Shana - clearly this was situational.) However, once we finished, I was feeling better and able to run errands, make a marinade for dinner that night and fold some laundry - all by 10:00 am!

Then the problem set in. What in the world was I going to do for the rest of the day? Usually I space these errands out, so I have at least one to do every day or every few hours. That run and an extra cup of coffee made me overzealous and left with nothing to do. So I got back in bed. A few hours later, I woke up...what to do now? I am tired of watching television and didn't feel like reading. Already went running...hmmm.

I can't even tell you what I did for the next few hours. There is a large chance I was laying on the couch staring at the ceiling during them. The other issue here is Mike's schedule. Because he is writing papers for his comps (which are due in a month and half, no pressure) he is on the most irregular schedule I have ever seen. He has always been a night owl, but this is out of control. When I left to run yesterday morning, (5:45 am) his eyes were glazed over as he stared at the television. So, we are trying to sort that out. Growing pains, I tell you.

I went to bed last night after watching Love Actually, crying hysterically and throwing things that wouldn't actually create any damage (and consequently did not make me feel better.) These items included my chapstick and a hair clip. Also, if I throw anything substantial I have to pay for it, and let's face it - that is not in the cards. Maybe I could join an anger management group - do you think I would make friends there?

Today I woke up with the same issue. I perused Craig's List and other job sites for employment, submitted my applications and continued to complain to/at Mike for no particular reason. I am a joy to cohabitate with. I ate two bowls of ice cream and then went to sit outside and stare pensively at the street and all the happy people walking by. I called up our friend to take his dog for a run/walk again. After he made me promise I wouldn't run him, I gathered up the dog. (I only ran him until he looked tired...)

So, I am back at home. Counting Crows are playing free under the arch tonight, with fireworks following the show. All of our 3 friends are going. Mike is working. I think I am going to watch Love Actually again. Should I get in my pajamas and see when Judge Judy comes on?

1 comment:

  1. Jenny come hang out with me!!!!!!! It is an excellent way to pass the time!

    ReplyDelete