Thursday, July 30, 2009

Insomnia

For the past month or so, I have been having a really hard time sleeping. Mostly, it is on the days that I don't run, which is a good incentive to continue my marathon training. However, if I take a break for my body to rest, my mind does not seem to take the hint and rest as well. It is currently 3:14 am. I have read enough of the 4th Twilight book to last me for awhile, and Mike is in bed snoring away.

That is another problem. Does anyone else have a significant other that snores? Right when you think you are about to fall into a perfect dream, the MAC truck beside you wakes you up. My father snores so loudly, I used to be able to hear him in the other room. I am not sure how my mother is still sleeping in their bedroom 34 years later. Don't worry, Mike and I have tried all the suggestions. Just believe me when I tell you that earplugs do not make a bit of difference. I almost bought him a pillow for his birthday from Brookstone that is supposed to cure snoring. (Really it would have been a present for me.) The only problem is, the ratings for how it works are all over the place. I just couldn't make myself spend $100 unless I was absolutely sure that the snoring would cease. If anyone has used one, I would love to know how that worked out for you.

Mike also does this super fun thing where he falls asleep (and is snoring) so I turn the television off. A few minutes later, I hear, "Hey! I was watching that!" Really? Were you really? So he turns the tv back on and is snoring within 3 minutes. I just turned the tv off for the 3rd time and came out to the living room to try to entertain myself. I can hear still hear him snoring. Poor thing - the only reason he doesn't have a pillow over his head right now is because I think he is getting sick.

And then I have a secret. When Mike is working late, and I go to bed by myself, I still sleep with the bear my grandmother made me when I was two. Lovingly named "Dead Bear" this animal is such a comfort to me. He no longer has eyes, or a nose and his ear is falling off. He also has cotton coming out of random places, (like his throat) but he has been through a lot and is truly loved. He also fits perfectly in the nook of my elbow, which Mike does not. My sweet boyfriend (Mike)tried to buy me a new bear one Valentine's Day (we were going out of town so flowers would have died and I don't really like chocolate.) Anyway, it was like trying to buy someone a new pet after theirs has just passed away. Although I did try to sleep with it, this new "Bandit Bear" (it has a mask like Zorro) just wasn't the same. Poor guy sits on the shelf in our closet. Regardless though, three's kind of a crowd if I try to bring Dead Bear into the bed when Mike and I go to bed at the same time. I may go grab him anyway at this point, I really don't think Mike will notice.

But back to the insomnia. Not sleeping is miserable. You look at the clock and realize that everyone else in the world will be getting up in just a few hours. The good thing is that I have no place to be the next day, so I do have the luxury of sleeping in, but then I can't fall asleep the next night. It is a vicious cycle. My grandmother always tells me when she has trouble sleeping, she gets up and paces. I actually do feel like going for a run right now, so maybe I will do a little pacing. But then, doesn't that get your blood flowing? It is a no win situation. Hope you are all getting a good night's sleep - I will let you know how this all works out tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. who in the world named your bear "dead bear" ????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I cleverly named him that myself...:-)

    ReplyDelete