Tuesday, July 7, 2009

One Thing Leads to Another

Well, I had already read the book, but I just watched the movie. Here are my new favorite quotes from 'Confessions of a Shopaholic:'

- A man will never love you and treat you as well as a store.
- If a man doesn't fit, you can't exchange him seven days later for a gorgeous cashmere sweater.
- A store can awaken a lust for things you never knew you needed.

Ahh, unfortunately, although I believe that a man and the store can both love you equally, I am ashamed to admit that I identified with each of these statements! Lately, it has gotten worse - I think because of my financial downfall. Now, I am forced to look at everything I am unable to purchase, rather than grabbing things up and dealing with the bill later. (I had an issue with Banana Republic right when I got out of college. I don't want to go into it - the wound is still a little too fresh.)

Anyway, I am one that can go into the drug store for lotion and come out with $100 less in my bank account. What am I buying? Only things I NEED, I justify. Really, if I go ahead and buy the nail polish, won't that keep me from later spending money on a pedicure? (This one actually worked.) Does anyone else have the problem of walking into the Hallmark aisle and immediately thinking of 5 people you should definitely correspond with via snail mail? And don't get me started on the 2 for 1 deals. Those are the worst. I am ashamed to write this, but I have a very serious sense of entitlement and am somehow able to justify my shopping with ridiculous excuses! (Until I get home and have to reveal my purchases. Then I feel like a puppy that has just torn all the toilet paper off the roll and run with it through the house. And got caught.)

Lately, the longing for things has gotten worse. Remember how I told you I am training for a marathon? Well, in order for one to run in a marathon, one must dress in appropriate running wear. That matches. And you must have enough outfits to change into so that you are not running in salty, sweaty clothing. Right? I recently realized that I look like a huge piece of bubble gum when I go run. I have hot pink running shoes (betcha didn't know they made those!), a pink running top, pink watch and, for when I finish, a pink water bottle. The kind that won't give me cancer. I told Mike yesterday that I want one of these watches from Garmin that not only times you (that is so '90's), it also tracks your pace, how many calories you are burning and, of course, has a GPS so you never get lost. How has anyone ever run without this?? These are only "running" for approximately $325.

I have noticed this need for all out mania in other parts of my life. I can't take just one thing at a time. I have to have it all at once. Don't tell me to be patient. I got to buy some curtains for our bedroom when I quit my job (see, this shouldn't make me feel better...but it did.) Mike finally put them up this weekend. This was after my grandmother yelled at him to get moving over the phone....that is a whole other post. So the curtains go up, and we find a painting that we already had to hang in between the windows. Fairly cheap, and it looks incredible. I am so happy and just want to spend all my time in this room. It just feels so peaceful and relaxing. Until the next day when I decided that I need some throw pillows and a new set of sheets to match the curtains. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?? Mike threw that "no" out before I could even finish my sentence.

Finally, when my mother came to help me when my elbow was broken, we went through the closet and gave a LOT of stuff to Good Will. (There are going to be some homeless people wearing some very trendy things this year. Well...they were trendy when I bought them 5 years ago.) This purge included a yellow dress that I loved, but was ruined from a wine stain. I will say, I got some good wedding wear out of that dress, thank you again Banana Republic. The point of the story is this. I am going to another wedding in July. How did a justify the purchase of my new red dress with flirty ruffled skirt? A) I needed to replace the yellow dress. B) I am an attendant and will be walking down the aisle for everyone to see. C) I will not be buying any accessories to go with that dress....except for the necklace I bought BEFORE I saw the dress.

I don't know how this happened to me. My parents are frugal people - smart with money, and they taught us to do the same. My middle sister probably has all her cash hidden under her mattress. Really, We used to laugh because she didn't want to loan us money (she knew she would never see it again). My dad even suggested she charge interest on it. Even my youngest sister is fairly (she has gotten better) responsible with her shopping habits. So for the time being, I am going to continue avoiding malls, drug stores...really anywhere that I can buy things that are unnecessary (i.e. not food) until my willpower is just a little stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment