Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Promise Ring

Before I start, may I tell you that I just watched Mike vacuum our deck? I asked him to please empty the filter of the vacuum, so he took it outside to keep dust from flying everywhere. The next thing I knew, the vacuum was on and my living room was not getting cleaned. Then he says, "See, if you get bored, you can always vacuum out here!" Thanks. I will make sure I put THAT on my to do list.

Ok. Back to the title of this blog. I love jewelry. Cheap, expensive, really anything that sparkles, I will wear on my body. Mike says that I am like a bird that looks for sparkly things to go in my nest. Last year I was really into necklaces and bracelets. The only thing that I am kind of weird about is rings. Here is my philosophy. You really only have two fingers that you can wear a ring on. I know people wear rings on their middle fingers, but my hands are sort of short and stubby, so I have never done that. I got a ring from my parents when I graduated from high school, and have not taken it off since then. It means a lot to me and I hope that in the future, maybe it will mean something to my children.

So, the other finger left is...the engagement ring finger. I have never worn anything on this finger because I do believe it shows that you are single, not "taken," - whatever. Even if you are dating someone, you don't have that final, legal commitment that a wedding band or engagement ring symbolizes. When I graduated from school last year, I asked for a pearl set from my parents. I thought it was very professional, and every girl needs a set of pearls. They got me a beautiful pearl necklace, earrings and bracelet. Then for my birthday, Mike bought me a pearl and diamond ring.

The point of the ring was to match the pearl set and because I had just borrowed one from his mother to wear to a wedding. He did not mean it in any other way than that. But I was having major problems. I didn't want to stop wearing the ring my parents gave me, but I didn't know how I felt about wearing this new ring on my left hand. Mike suggested that I switch out the rings on my right hand, but that defeats the purpose of wearing my parent's ring every day.

Finally, I talked to Mike's mother. She told me I should definitely wear this ring on my left hand because in "the old days" (her words) a pearl preceded a diamond in a relationship. I told Mike this and of course, he just rolled his eyes. I did not care, and got the ring sized for my left hand. Then I started reminding him that this was my promise ring, just because it drove him crazy.

Now, remember - I am clumsy. The sapphire that is on my right hand is chipped and apparently, sapphires are pretty solid stones. The jeweler asked what happened and I honestly didn't know. I just told her that I fall a lot, but she didn't seem impressed.

The other day as I was driving out of the garage, the pearl on my ring fell off. I was doing nothing - I promise! It literally fell into my lap. I called Mike, assured him that I was not doing anything clumsy and later showed him the ring. He was mad at the jeweler for "poor craftsmanship" and then suggested I super glue the ring back together. That is classy with a capital K. I haven't gotten back to the jeweler yet, and now that I have gotten used to not having the ring on my finger, I am not sure I am going to put it back. I may use it for special occasions and switch it out.

I told Mike this was a sign that I needed something more solid and durable on that ring finger. Girls - if you have been dating your boyfriend for less than 5 years, I am not sure that I would go this route. However, as we are in our 6th year of dating, I have no qualms talking about marriage and my upcoming engagement ring. I don't drop hints anymore because they don't seem to have worked.

For the time being, I am going to save the promise rings for all those love struck teenagers out there. I should be able to relate - I am reading Twilight!

No comments:

Post a Comment