Sunday, July 5, 2009

Love, Actually!!

I am so excited. Yesterday I got a message from one of my best college girlfriends saying, "Call me back...I am have some neeeews!!!" If you are a girl, you know what that means. She is engaged!!! I am thrilled. I am truly so happy for her because I don't think this could happen to a better person. This girl is hilarious, grounded, smart and beautiful - a perfect package - and I am so happy that she has found the love of her life.

With that said, I have never met him! Isn't it weird, as we get older and move to different cities, the people that you lived with and knew everything about, are marrying someone you have never met? They have been dating for three years (I think) but I have never made my way down to San Antonio to meet him.

So here's the story - everyone loves a good engagement story, right? (And I did obtain her permission to write this. She is a lawyer as well.)

This all happened quickly, it seems. One day the future hubby (FH) asked my friend to go grab some ice cream. Instead, they went to Tiffany's to look at rings! That is SO much better than ice cream. I guess they got her finger measured and tried on different styles. Heads up guys, this is a huge clue to us that you are on the right track. Within a few days, FH was telling my friend that their parents needed to meet. This is where my friend started to freak out. FH's family is from Miami. They are very devout in their Judiasm. My friend is Jewish, but when we were in college, the only thing I learned from her was which holiday macaroons are sold. (Those are fantastic by the way - have you had them?) And by the way, I really don't remember which holiday that is....

Anyway, my friend "staged" her father's house to look more religious than it really was. I thought this was hilarious! My friend explained that many Jewish households have mezuzahs hanging either in the front door or "should be fixed to the doorpost of every living space. These are symbols showing that the home is of the Jewish religion." (Thank you MyJewishLearning.com). FH's family has mezuzahs all through their house, as the website suggets. My friend's father had NONE. So, friend went to buy mezuzahs and hammered them around her father's house! The dinner went well, and the next day, my friend's father brought back the mezuzahs in a box saying, "Hey - here are your props." Don't worry, the FH knows this was all for show.

My friend, as I do, likes to be in the loop. She reminded FH that he had to ask her father for
permission to marry her. She then suggested that she attend this lunch with them. That got nixed. So, father and FH had lunch and all went well. Apparently dad likes FH so that is a big plus.

Friday night, my friend and FH went out with friends for dinner. After dinner, FH feigned sickness and told my friend she needed to go home. My friend was not happy as she was excited to hang out with everyone and kept telling FH how lame he was. So romantic! Once they got home, my friend didn't see any roses or candles, so she said, (this is an exact quote) "Maybe the kid really is sick?" FH suggested that they play a board game and then they got into a tiff about who was going to set up the pieces. (Isn't it funny how, try as you might, day to day life just isn't romantic?) My friend finally gave in and started to set up the game because she felt sorry that FH might be sick. When she opened the box, the Tiffany's box was inside and he was down on one knee!!! Yay!!!

So, of course she said yes and friend and FH will probably be getting married next spring. I started asking all sorts of questions, but she didn't really have any answers for me quite yet. I think she is still in shock!! She admits that she was caught several times staring at her new piece of jewelry once they went back out to meet their friends. Again, I am so excited for them and cannot wait to meet this FH. I especially can't wait for the reception where we get to throw them around on chairs!! I need to start working out. Congratulations!!

No comments:

Post a Comment