Friday, July 10, 2009

Ahh Friday Night

It has been so long since Mike and I have done something together outside of our condo as a couple. Yes we eat dinner together several times a week but he has been so busy with work and I have been so busy having nothing to do. It has been a tough week for me and I have been really struggling to stay positive. I think my biggest struggle comes from being lonely, which is something that I am really working on. Trying to find peace when I am by myself.

Regardless, my body does not seem to know how to handle all the anxiety I am going through so I am either running (literally) or I am crying. Not necessarily because I am sad, but just because it really does seem to relieve some stress. Today, after a long day of waking up at noon, worrying about money, eating anything in the house and reading Twilight, I decided to take a nap. Usually all the stress and panic hits right around 7 pm when I realize I have not done a thing with my day. Nothing different tonight. I started getting snappy with Mike and then went into the other room and stared at the ceiling. When he came in to check on me, I was, of course, crying again.

He told me to get dressed (yes, still in my pajamas) and to get in the car. I was like a puppy. It had been so long since I had even been in his car I couldn't contain myself. I couldn't stop talking and jabbering on about nothing. We rolled the windows down and drove to my "surprise" location. It is actually beautiful up here at night and remarkably cool in comparison to the South. We went to Forest Park, which I have been told "competes" with Central Park, in size. This is where I often run and there are so many random places where you can just sit and marvel at how beautiful the area is. We drove over to a spot where there are tons of fountains and just sat there. We weren't even talking (not in a bad way) and it was wonderful! I reminded Mike that this is what couples are SUPPOSED to be doing on Friday nights!

Don't worry, if you thought it was all roses and candelight while Mike whispered sweet nothings in my ear, that is not really the way we roll. Example below:

Mike: How long is that race you are running again?

Me: It is called a marathon. It is 26.2 miles.

Mike: What? Why would you do that? That is not impressive to me.

Me: Thanks. That is not why I am doing it. I am doing it for my own sense of accomplishment. And how is that not impressive to you? You are out of breath right now!

Mike: I don't understand why you would want to run a 26.2 mile marathon.

Me: Don't say that in public. You are saying the same thing twice. (Isn't there a word for that?)

Mike: Are you going to win this marathon? Now that would be cool. Do you get some money if you win?

Sorry ladies, he is taken....(no, this is not my line. It goes to my friend Kristen, here in St. Louis.)

After we sat for awhile, our mini date night was over. Mike had to get back to work and I had more of Twilight to read. I meekly suggested that maybe we should get some ice cream? Mike acted like we were not going to stop, but SCORE! I got a strawberry shortcake extravaganza and ate the entire thing. See how easy I am to please? Just like a little kid. Now we are back at home, Mike is playing his guitar (this is how he procrastinates/"gets in the mood to write") and I am about to watch some t.v. This is the happiest I have been in a long time. It was so nice to spend some quality time with Mike and reconnect - just shows you don't need a lot of money to make you happy!

1 comment: