Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Mandarin Lounge

Well, I think I am 5 days in to my training? I was off yesterday, which was nice because Friday was crazy, and also the training day in which someone followed me around and critiqued me when I was done. It was exhausting. My critique was, "You did great, especially considering how busy it was, but just remember that you need to be aware of everything all the time." I just didn't know how to respond to that.

Friday night after I came home around 10pm, (pizza and salad in hand) I collapsed on the couch. I had already gone for a longer run that afternoon and was about to fall asleep. Then Mike calls from school and asks if I want to go meet his friends for a drink."It's 11:00" I said. "I know, but they are all out..." I felt bad, especially since I have been telling him that he needs to get out with people more, (including me), so I changed my clothes (I was still in my apron) and got ready.

We headed to a place named The Mandarin Lounge, where Mike's other classmates were gathered. Now as I have gotten older, I really prefer to hang out at someone's house or a low key bar with maybe an acoustic guitar in the background? I got nervous when we got in line to pay the cover (only for males, no cover for girls.) All the girls were wearing very tight,very revealing, silky outfits. I was just happy that I had decided to put on heels instead of flip flops! I was wearing jeans and a cute top from Banana, but I quickly noted that was not going to cut it. We climbed several flights of stairs because this place is actually on the top of some other restaurant so you can walk out on the roof. Neat idea, but there were some flaws. First, while we were hiking up the stairs, I started to hear the music. We were still about 2 floors away. I asked Mike if the music seemed loud. He actually did agree. Imagine how loud it was when we actually walked in. Once we found our friends, they told us we had just missed a dance off?? and a girl was dragging me to dance. My feet were hurting, my legs were tired and I just completely denied her my dancing skills.

It got better after we went outside, but some kid almost fell on me because he was so drunk. I enjoyed watching all the young 20 somethings in their outfits. I think they thought they were headed for a night out in LA, rather than STL. All in all, we had a good time, but at 1:30, a guy with a bullhorn (Not kidding) came out and started herding people back inside. They kept yelling that it was time to go and for everyone to get out. I put my completely full beer down and started heading for the steps. I heard a guy scream, "I'm getting married tomorrow!" That poor bride.

At the bottom of the stairs a guy was giving away wristbands so everyone could go to another bar that stayed open until 3 am. Brilliant. Send people who cannot stand up to another bar that is no where within walking distance. We finally got home and settled and when I looked at the clock it was 3 am. I could not believe it. I was exhausted and slept until noon the next day. (Ok, for those of you who know me, that is not completely out of the ordinary.)

I am blaming the Mandarin Lounge on me not completing my long run this weekend. I was so tired yesterday and promised myself I would run today. However, 16 miles is a long way to go by yourself, and I opted to sleep in this morning. Additionally, I have to work at 3 pm today. That kind of puts a wrench in any plans you have for the day. I am looking at the clock trying to figure out if I could go for a short run before work. I guess I will go change...hope you all had a great weekend. Tonight I will be followed around while I work the door. Friday, I was working the floor. I know, it's complicated stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment