Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Email, Texting and Faxing, Oh My!

My fight with insomnia continues. The good thing is, while I am laying in bed thinking of all the things that I can't fix, I also come up with some good blogging ideas. (Or so I think.) This one isn't really that funny, it is just what I think part of the problem is when it comes to my employment. (Which has now been 2 months.)

I am all over careerbuilder.com, yahoojobs.com, and other various websites. I also have a temp agency that specializes in legal work searching for something for me. However, the problem with this technology is, no one ever sees your face. I sit at the computer and hit "send" with my resume and cover letter over and over again. Who knows if someone is actually receiving these documents, and it is so easy, think about how many people are hitting "send" for the exact same jobs. I actually did receive a rejection letter from one of the companies, and it was a relief. At least they sat down and decided I wasn't a good fit for that career!

The other problem is that I don't really have any contacts here. Now, I made a decision to move to St. Louis and not to Birmingham, so I recognize that this is my own problem. However, it is nice when someone's daddy knows someone who could maybe introduce you to someone else. My three friends here just don't have the same contacts in comparison to the town where you grew up. At least someone could vouch for me in Birmingham that I am a hard worker and capable of being, for example, a secretary.

The final problem is, I now vacillate between what I want to do when I grow up. Mike thinks this is because my legal career has not taken off, but you should hear some of the ideas I have come up with. Ok, I will tell you. I thought about getting my teaching certificate, but I don't think I have the patience to run a classroom, and I wouldn't really be able to apply for a job until the next school year. (And we will have moved to another state by then.) Then I thought about being being a journalist. (I am not saying that I am a good enough writer to be a journalist, these are just things I think about. Remember, I wanted to go on American Idol.) Mike informed me that there are no journals in St. Louis, which I'm pretty sure is wrong, but that gave me an opportunity to say, "Another reason I hate this city." I even told Mike yesterday that I was going to have to work at McDonald's, and he really didn't seem too upset or concerned. All I could think about was hot grease flying into my face and either burning me or making me break out.

So, that is what I was pondering last night until 5 am. And then I keep thinking that some higher power is up there saying, "She really needed a taste of humble pie" and laughing. Well, I get it. I am humbled. Please throw me a bone!

No comments:

Post a Comment