Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I Am Officially Employed...Almost

So, I promised to tell you the story of what happened last Thursday when I went searching for jobs in the food industry. I need to explain to you why I have not been searching for restaurant/mall jobs since Pottery Barn Kids closed. The reason is, I hate them, and I was really hoping that something would come along that was 9-5 with a steady salary, regardless of how low. The problem was, as many resumes as I sent out for paralegal, legal secretary or contract legal work, I received nothing in return. I even interviewed for a social work position but was not called back. (I think the reasoning was because the lady looked at me like I had one eye when I stated my optimal salary.) Sorry people, some of us have a LOT of school loans to pay off!!

So Tuesday, I trekked across the street to the pizza place where Mike and I order from at least twice a month. I thought I should get points just for that.I was given an application and told to come back Thursday for an interview. Last Thursday I spoke to a lovely girl/lady (who knows how old she was) and she set me up with a second interview with the "higher" manager today (Thursday). I felt positive about the meeting, and was looking forward to my meeting this afternoon.

Last week I came home to tell Mike that I had a second interview with the pizza place, but he still made me go to another restaurant with that whole, "You can't put all your eggs in one basket" deal. So I headed over to Cheesecake Factory. I picked up an application from them and was told to come back Thursday when the managers would be interviewing. So my Thursday was full, and I was hoping that something positive would come from one of these two place.

After I met with the pizza lady, I headed to Cheesecake Factory. No one warned me that this was a mass interview with multiple people milling around waiting to talk with the powers that be in the managerial world. When my name was finally called 30 minutes later, I was already miffed. I thought the entire system was very unorganized and some kid kept hitting on me, telling me "Good Luck" and "You will love it here!" I wanted to tell him that at that point if I didn't get some cheese cake, someone was going to be in trouble!
The manager called my name (like we were at the doctor's office) and showed me to a table. We both sat and stared at each other after introductions had been made. Who is supposed to be leading this interview anyway? Boorish man in his yellow button down finally speaks.

BMIYBD: Soooo....what brings you in today?

Me: I tried not to make a face, I really did, but what the heck do you think I am doing there? Getting dinner??
"Well, I just wanted to speak with you about the potential for employment in a hostess or waitress position.

BMIYBD: Ok, so why Cheesecake Factory?

Me: Totally made some BS up

BMIYBD: Well, it doesn't look like you have any restaurant experience whatsoever.

Me: Hey Dumbass. If you would look at my resume you would see that I have been a hostess. In addition, how smart do you need me to be to take people to their seats?

Of course the guy acted like he had never heard about the place where I hostessed, probably because it is DIRECTLY up the street.

Finally, boorish man in a yellow button down asks me to tell him about myself. I hate these sorts of questions. They are almost as bad as the "Tell me one weakness about yourself." Who knows how to answer those? You either give a positive attribute and twist it around to make it negative, or are dumb and tell them one of your negative attributes.

Back to talking about me: "I'm nice....organized.....lot of positive adjectives."

BMIYBD: Ok, well we will call you in 24-48 hours. If you do not hear from us, please consider another employment opportunity. PS - They never called.

I was so turned off by this guy. The entire interview took me less time than it did for me to drive down the street. So much for putting your eggs in one basket.

The positive part is that I went back to the pizza place this afternoon and spoke with another nice lady. She offered me a position, pending I make 100% on the menu test!! Don't worry, I get a week to study, but wow...that is stressful for a hostess! And what if they scramble the pizzas or something while I am taking the test? While the interviewer was making copies I noticed a hot pink sticky note attached to my file. I did NOT move a thing so I was not snooping. I simply used my powerful senses to read upside down what the prior interviewer had said about me. I was shocked. "This girl is a little OLDER (30's!!), but I still liked her." I am not embellishing how it read. In fact, the "30's" was underlined! I wanted to point out that I was only 29, but let's be honest, what good would that have done.

So, I will be the oldest pizza hostess around, until something a little more stable comes up. Wish me luck on that test!!!

1 comment:

  1. Jenny! I can't believe they said you were old[er]. I think you should act very immature next time. Try mentioning the Jonas Brothers

    ReplyDelete