Thursday, August 13, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

So yesterday I turned the big 2-9. I was thrilled when Mike's brother in law text messaged me to remind me that I only had one year left until I was "officially old." Yikes!

I have to preface this post by saying that I absolutely love birthdays. I think it is the one time every year that you are able to do whatever you want and the excuse "But it's my birthday" always works. Yesterday was weird though. It was the first time that I have ever celebrated a birthday away from a large group, be it friends or family. I was trying to remember where I was last year because I had already moved to St. Louis when I turned 28. I realized that we took a trip down south, so I was able to celebrate with my family, friends, and then Mike's family. I had everything but a parade. This year, not so much. Mike and I went to a nice sushi dinner, but that was about it for the festivities. I got some great presents, but I think I always have such high expectations they can never be met. I am still waiting for Mike to wake me up doing cartwheels while he holds a cake and balloons.

I kept crying yesterday when people would call or email "Happy Birthday." And then my close friends from Birmingham sent me a package of cookies that sent me into hysterics. My mom said, "I think you are crying because you are so touched that everyone is thinking about you." Nope, I did not agree. I think I was just feeling sorry for myself. My mom also took the opportunity to remind me every time that I talked with her that 29 years before she was still in labor. I was a stubborn little baby and it took me awhile to decide to let the world take a look at me. Additionally, I was breach, and my mom made the decision to have a natural birth. Lots of things she could still be holding grudges about - good thing she let those slide!

Today I woke up and felt much better. Another great thing about birthdays is how many people you get to talk to and catch up with no matter how long it has been. I don't know why girls are so weird about birthdays, but I actually do keep track of who communicates in some way to wish me "Happy Birthday." A few years ago it would have made me upset if someone forgot my big day, but since then, I have missed some birthdays myself and realized these things happen. Other people's lives do not center around you, even on your day of birth.

So I started laughing when a friend of mine called twice today apologizing for not wishing me a happy birthday. The funny thing is, she called me yesterday and left a message just to catch up. I actually laughed when I heard the message because I thought, "She is going to feel so badly about this tomorrow." But what can you do? You can't call someone and say, "I'm so glad you called. You know it's my birthday, right?"

Yesterday I spoke with my Grandma (who I call Grandma - that is important). She asked if I had received her card (which I knew had a little spending money in it.) She started getting very nervous that it had not arrived, even though she had only mailed it two days prior. I made sure to check the mail today, and of course, there it was. The thing is, she had written, "Hope you have a wonderful day. Love, Nana." What in the world? I have never called her Nana. I showed Mike and informed him that I was pretty sure my grandma was losing it.

I called her tonight and asked her if she remembered how she signed the card. She said, "Oh Jenny, I knew you were going to get onto me for that!" Grandma has three surviving children, who each have a "set" of children. Each set of grandchildren call her by a different name. Our "regular" household calls her Grandma, while she is called Nana and Garbie by the other two. She explained that she was signing a card to my cousin, whose birthday is also in August, and just wasn't thinking. When I am a Grandma I am picking only one name and will not be answering to anything else. That is confusing!

So that is pretty much it. I went to get Mexican with a wonderful friend this evening and got some fun and very generous presents from her. I guess I am just growing up and birthdays aren't as fun as when you were five and didn't really have to plan anything or worry about money. The best part was knowing that I am loved and thought about by all the people that I talked to yesterday. Maybe mom was right.

I am exhausted and going to bed now, but I will have to write tomorrow about the restaurant interviews I attended today. Restauranteurs take their jobs very seriously! Good night!

1 comment:

  1. Jenny-- Happy Late Birthday! Sorry friend! Include me in the good friends list

    ReplyDelete