Monday, August 3, 2009

Let's Go Red Sox, Let's Go!



So, I am back from Baltimore and once again adjusting to reality. It always feels like the problems you left behind smack you in the face as soon as you get back from vacation. It usually takes me a day or two to adjust.

Are you wondering why the Blackburn clan that lives in Birmingham, AL are huge Red Sox fans? Well, here is the romantic story. My mom and dad actually grew up in Arlington, VA and my grandparents grew up in MA. (Starting to see the connection?) When my grandfather was younger, he was DRAFTED to play for a minor league of the Red Sox. As the pay was not the same as it is now for sports players, my grandfather had to make a decision as to whether or not he would play baseball, or if he would marry my grandmother and go to work for the navy. Luckily for me, he chose the latter.

If that wasn't romantic enough, my grandparents only dated for two months before they got married. Their first date was a double blind date, and they were each set up with other people. Afterwards, my grandfather asked my grandma if she would be interested in going out with him. She said she wasn't sure because the other girl was her friend, but apparently the guilt was not too strong. As I said, they were married two months later! So that is how the Red Sox following seeped into our blood.

A few years ago, my dad decided that he would start traveling to see some of the games. We had done this as a family years before, but sometimes 5 is a crowd, and my mom is not the biggest sports fan in the world. So, dad started taking my middle sister with him, just because she knew player's names and stats and stuff. Well, my sisters and I have a weird thing where everything has to be fair between us. (I know, I am almost 30.) Regardless, my youngest sister and I threw a fit that we were not involved in these "father/daughter" weekends. Last year, my youngest sister went to a game or two, but I was still not able to go because I was studying for the stupid bar. If I could have seen into the future, I should have just met them somewhere!

This year, with nothing on the horizon, I was able to book a ticket to Baltimore and watch the Red Sox play the Orioles. Too bad the Orioles are no good, (and unpleasant fans as well) but we had a great time. We had wonderful seats and won both the games we attended. It was amazing to me how many Boston fans showed up (with their super strong accents!) Dad and I enjoyed a little too much beer Friday night, so we hung out Saturday, went for a run and went to dinner and the game at 7. As I said, the weekend flew by, but it was wonderful to see my dad and just get away.

Now I am back at home about to watch all the shows that I DVRd over the weekend. For those of you anxiously waiting, I finally finished the Twilight saga. So good!! Tomorrow the job hunt continues and maybe I will try to clean this place up a little! Mike's papers are due in 15 days, so say a little prayer/throw out a little thought for him! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment