Sunday, August 28, 2011

Lullabelle Scare

Last week, after much pushing and prodding by Mike, I finally took Lullabelle to the vet . Ok, she has never been in her entire six years of life. Before you judge me, let me explain. She lives inside and is only with Mike and me. I just never thought that she needed to go. (Are you still not convinced? Do you still think that I am a bad mother?) After a little nudging and a lot of guilt, I took my sweet cat to a vet I found online. It ended up being a nice place, which is something I was worried about. They took her mug shot and then brought her into another room to take her blood. If you remember, this cat is skittish. She was in the pound for a year before I got her and has had many traumatic experiences since then. I actually heard her scream when they took her blood, and I felt sick to my stomach. I truly can't imagine taking my human child to the doctor or having them be sick - I was a wreck during the entire process.

When the doctor came into the room he told me that her blood work was fine, but she had a cracked tooth. He showed me where her tooth had split in half (most likely for stale treats that either Mike or I gave her) and was completely infected. The vet told me that she needed to go into surgery ASAP to get this taken care of so we wouldn't have to pay for a tooth extraction down the line. Then he said I could go home and he would see me in the morning. How can you leave this face??



I left after saying multiple goodbyes. I asked the secretary if they would please contact me when she got out of surgery. She said I was welcome to call at 4 pm. (Apparently they have more important things to do than make personal calls for each patient.) I was on the phone at 3:30. Luckily Lullabelle did great but was still a little groggy when they went to check on her. I asked if maybe I could just come pick her up then, but the nurse said that was out of the question. When the doors opened the next morning, I was standing on the steps waiting to pick up my sweet cat.

There was a new front desk lady who did not make me feel very comfortable. When I asked how Lullabelle had done overnight she replied, "I don't know. I wasn't here." Hmmm. I paid my money and she went into the back to get my precious cargo. When we got home, Lullabelle just kind of laid around and randomly walked into things. Mike thought this was hilarious. I was on the phone with the vet making sure everything was ok. I think the anesthesia has finally worn off. We have antibiotics that she is supposed to be taking but she has fought us every step of the way. Mike tried to put them in her water, but then she stopped drinking. She's a smart one, that cat.

This is her recovering the next day - still a little stoned I think.



So, that was our excitement for the week. We really are starting to be a little domesticated, suburban family - I love it!

*New post below.*

No comments:

Post a Comment