Saturday, August 13, 2011

Now What?

*I wrote this several days ago and stopped in the middle of it. The house is no longer eerily clean.**

I am sitting on the couch with a grocery list in my hand, but grocery shopping is not as enticing as it was when I was supposed to be studying. I am already going a little stir crazy. My in laws are gone and Mike has gone back to school to get ready for his big test on October 12. Things are eerily quiet and clean around here.

We had a great time with Mike's parents. They are always lots of fun, and we ended up shopping both days they were here. While Mike's dad played golf, I went with his mother and one of their close friends to "The Mart" and to do a little early birthday shopping. We had some wonderful dinners and it was nice to have someone to just take care of us for a little while. Sometimes being a grown up is exhausting and it is so wonderful when your parents step in!

Today I have searched for jobs, cleaned the kitchen again, watched more episodes of Weeds and created the menu for the rest of the week. I called my parents who are (of course) at the beach this weekend. I was trying to explain how antsy I felt to my father who said, "Oh - I'm not sure I have ever been in that position. Well, when we were in Jamaica and I was just sitting on the beach I did get antsy. That's when I got scuba certified." SO not the same, Dad. I calmly told him that I did not feel we were in the same place and I probably needed to get off the phone.

One good thing coming out of that conversation is that I am getting scuba certified so that I can be my dad's partner. Mom is not at all interested in participating, and neither is Mike. So, we figured they can fish or tan on the boat while Dad and I are diving. Good plan, huh? I signed up for a class and start in a week. Apparently, you learn in a pool and then they take you to the lake where you do your "dives." After I paid for the class, I called my mom and asked her if she thought I give off an appearance of stupidity. I was so annoyed by what the guy selling the class (and all equipment in the store) was trying to hook me into buying. He went on and on about how it was necessary for me to buy $200 goggles so that I don't get blisters around my eyes, and how the rental places for scuba diving never have the correct sizes. When I tried to "argue" my position (just say no) he got very huffy. I wanted to tell him that I do in fact have a college education and am not as dumb as I may appear.  Regardless, I am signed up and will let you know how these lessons go. I am a little worried about how my claustrophobia is going to play into all of this, but, I'm sure it will be fine. What's the worst that can happen?

We are going to meet my parents at the beach over Labor Day and I cannot wait. This pale body needs some sun, and this southern girl is missing the beach! It seems as though everyone has had their beach/lake vacation and I am ready for ours! That really is all that is going on here these days....birthday post to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment