Friday, August 19, 2011

49 Days and Counting

Today is the 49th day this year that the temperature has been over 100 degree. And I'm not talking about grazing the boundary around 101. I mean it is a consistent 107-108 degrees every day. Just imagine getting in your car (which you know is going to show a higher temperature) and seeing 120. I really can't believe it. Now, I will see say, I know that AL, LA, and MS are all very hot, plus they have the added bonus of humidity. The difference is this dry heat where you feel like you are actually burning as soon as you walk outside.

I will not be writing a entire post on the weather today, but just wanted to show you why I finally caved and joined a gym. After Mike locked me out, and the temperatures were still above 100 at 9:00 at night, I decided there really was no point in trying to run outside unless I had some sort of death wish. (I don't.) I have always had some aversion to joining a gym. A) There is something so freeing about walking out your front door and going for a run. B) I don't know what any of those machines at the gym do. When the guy was signing me up, he asked me exactly what I was going to be focusing on. "Just a treadmill please, that's all I need." I have since found the ab machines, which I *think* I am doing correctly. I have tried a few other machines, but I am pretty sure I am working out my legs when I should be working on my arms, abs, etc on that particular machine.

This gym is HUGE. I accidentally walked into the "candlelight yoga" class yesterday when I was trying to find the Zumba class. That was embarrassing. The best thing about this gym is that they have come up with the idea of a movie theater with treadmills in it instead of seats. Brilliant. You no longer have to switch channels when the commercials come on and you run in the dark. I LOVE the idea, but am terrified of flying off the machine (this has happened before) and disturbing everyone else's run. The other glitch they are still working on is the actual movies. You are able to check the movie schedule on the internet before you go - this is key for me. I don't want to watch G.I. Joe (which Mike and I did rent the other night) while I am running. On this particular day, The Dilemma was playing. I was excited - a girly movie that wouldn't take much thought. When I walked into the theater, I saw - The Terminator. I stuck it out for an hour, but it was pretty horrible.

If you are still reading this, I realize it was pretty boring. Sorry - however, I can't move very much today after two consecutive days at the gym (getting my money's worth!) and am getting a little bored. Enjoy the rest of your Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment