Sunday, August 28, 2011

Scuba Certified! Check!

I think I mentioned in a blog awhile back that I was planning to take scuba classes. I started last Tuesday night and finished up today. It really is one of the coolest things I have ever done. We started out in a pool where our instructor taught us how to assemble the gear, put the gear on and eventually get in the pool. If you are considering taking classes, also consider booking a massage for the week after. I am so sore. The tank/equipment, etc is approximately 60-70 pounds and you are hauling it around on your back. Although it is weightless in the water, I have been on the couch every time a session finished. The process is exhausting - swimming, breathing and carrying that load.

Once we completed our pool skills, they took us out to the lake. Since there is no ocean within 6 hours of us, they certify people this way. I wish I could say that I saw a lot of amazing things, but that was not the case. The visibility was only about 5 feet in front of us, but it was amazing to that we were able to stay under water for so long without worrying about taking a breath or running out of air. The instructor makes you do all these things in the lake just in case they were to ever happen in the "real world." Examples: losing your mask, losing your breathing tube or learning how to use a compass underwater (tricky).

Using the compass was hilarious. They made us practice on land so that if someone veered off course, they would be able to grab us without losing us in the lake. The instructor made us all put towels over our heads and wander around until we got to our appointed destination. I kind of think he did it just to laugh at us. My towel kept getting in the way - things were not going well. Luckily things smoothed out under water and I was able to pass that portion.

One of the things that I found interesting is that I was not claustrophobic at all. I was concerned that I was going to get very anxious and not want to stay under water. But again, you get so caught up in what you are doing and seeing that you forget you are underwater doing something that humans are not made to do. I am so excited to go diving in Florida and have already informed my father that I have several trips planned for us. My father informed me that I have a propensity for spending other people's money and we will discuss future dives after I get a job. In the meantime, I can keep diving at the lake! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment