Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Domestic Bliss?

I love working. I love having the job that I currently have...getting up in the morning, making coffee and putting on my "job clothes." I love walking around in heels and a cute outfit, as petty as it sounds. And I love that all the time and money that I invested in law school is finally starting to pay off. I can't tell you how many times I questioned whether law was the right path to take over the past two years. Mike always said, "Why don't you wait until you start practicing before you make another life decision?" ("And get into more debt" is probably what he was thinking.) Regardless, he was right and I am really enjoying the office where I am and the assignments I am given.

However, with this major change, another event has shifted. Mike is a full time student. He has classes that he attends, but for the most part, he creates his own schedule. When I had nothing to do, this was great. We would watch movies late into the night, sleep until noon and then he would go off to school. It was wonderful and ridiculous at the same time. Wonderful because I really do love to sleep. Ridiculous because while he had a place to take off to, I was still at home. And so, we have moved to Dallas. We have a cute new place that is decorated "girly" and I have more motivation to do things around the house than I have had in two years.

The issue is that Mike is still on the same schedule. In fact, he just left at 11:30 pm to head to school. This drives me nuts. We have argued about this for years, going around and around. But the crux of it is, you can't change someone. I think part of it is control and wanting to somehow control him? (or at least his time schedule because I think I know what is better for him?) Are there really night owls and morning people? Personally, I believe I am more of an "after 11 am" kind of girl, but whatever. I am struggling to somehow accept this chapter of our lives (that seems to be going on FOREVER) but I don't know that it will ever change. Another chapter will always offer struggles, and I understand that. It's just this one that I am currently trying to figure out.

I am headed to bed while my husband is headed to school.

Well, this was a juicy post. I always wonder why people put their whole lives out on the internet for anyone to read. I don't mind doing it because I hope that someone out there is somehow relating to me. I know that I read blogs where I am happy to know that I am not the only one experiencing different things. (Do I sound like Oprah? She always says silly things like that. "I know, some of you are out there cooking dinner, and you just had your Ah-ha moment!)Regardless, we will continue to figure this whole marriage thing out one day at a time. :-) Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment