Saturday, September 18, 2010

Bookstores and My Twin

This afternoon I went to the bookstore. I love books. I love being at the bookstore; it is one of those weird places of solitude for me where you can browse for hours and not realize how much time has gone by. I personally think there should not be any cell phones allowed there as major decisions are being made. You can decide whether you are in the mood for the best sellers, the Classics, or Oprah's Book Club. (I got one of each today.) I have decided that I needed Anna Karenina in my "library" at least to get used to the idea of reading it. Then when I decide to conquer this 817 page literary masterpiece, I will have it in our home. When we moved from St. Louis, Mike's mother couldn't believe that we were both bringing all our books with us. She asked me why I wasn't going to donate them to Goodwill or throw them out. These thoughts horrified me. Who throws out books? As cheesy as it sounds, once I finish reading a novel, it has somehow impacted my life, whether I know it or not. And what if I want to read it again?

One of the best things about my parent's house is their collection of books stacked along the walls in the basement. For summer reading, we rarely had to buy the books - my parents usually had a copy. And when we are bored over the holidays or when we are visiting we can always go downstairs and find SOMETHING that will suit the mood we are in and entertain us for at least a few days. So, at some point, I hope that Mike and I will have that for our children. Novels for our children that we have held in our hands and thought about or even been educated by. (I am going to make sure that Mike's criminology books are locked up so our children don't get any weird ideas...:-)

Anyway, back to the beginning. While I was browsing the store, I began looking in the cookbook section. I have really been trying to be more domestic since we moved, and I enjoy putting dinner together, knowing that it is healthier than the pound of wings Mike would order otherwise. Ever since I watched Julie & Julia, I have wanted to get the Julia Child's cookbook and attempt to create some French dishes. I know, this is not original, I am sure that everyone who watched that movie was somehow inspired (maybe?) to begin exploring these recipes. However, I was shocked to see how expensive cookbooks are! Yes, I get it. You will have them forever. But still - I couldn't justify spending that amount of money on a cookbook and decided I would either get it on my next trip or ask for it for Christmas.

After dinner this evening, I checked the blog of the girl with whom I feel I am in competition. Remember the one that does all the same things I do, but seems to do them better, faster and more beautifully? Would you believe that she JUST BOUGHT THE JULIA CHILDS COOKBOOK?? Then she posted pictures of several of the recipes that she has made from it. I couldn't believe it.

I marched into Mike's office and started telling him about this outrage (and how it is a little weird.) Mike suggested that (and this is so typical of a scientist) all bloggers might have the same types of personalities and so it is not absurd that this particular girl (who now lives in Seattle - see, she just had a big move, just like us) would be doing all the things I am doing. I still think it is crazy. And so, I may be putting up Rachael Ray for a little while, sucking it up, and investing in Julia Childs. I will let you know how that goes :-)

1 comment: