Thursday, August 26, 2010

Is There a Need for TV?

For two weeks, I was given the opportunity to see what our lives would be like if we didn't have television as a distraction. Aside from missing internet, I was so happy. There was no constant noise from as soon as we woke up until the time we fell asleep at night. You could have a conversation without asking/yelling that the tv be turned down, or "could you please pay attention to me rather than staring at some crime show that you can pause?"

I will say that we missed the news, but isn't that what the newspaper is for? Mike and I also watch different types of news. He enjoys Fox News while I prefer CNN. When CNN is on, Mike feels the need to make comments like, "Oh Obama, I am so glad that you were able to take a vacation while the United States is in crisis." Ok - if this was reported on Fox, would I get the same reaction?? He went on vacation either way! Regardless, it is just the point of having the noise.

We seemed to forget in these two weeks, how important it was that we not miss an episode of "Jersey Shore" (yes, I am honest. We watch it) or "Project Runway." In fact, when we were setting up our recordings, I couldn't remember half the things that I HAD to watch before we moved here. I am not all high and mighty. I definitely watched movies when we didn't have cable and I was too tired to read, but still, I think TV has gotten a little out of control.

By the way, did you know you can get books read to your children on video now?? We seem to be missing the point...

That's all for now. I am going to attempt to organize our bedroom...somehow in just 4 days we have a laundry pile up! How does this happen??

No comments:

Post a Comment