Wednesday, August 25, 2010

How to Be Hired and Fired in 7 Days

Before I start this story, I have to say CONGRATULATIONS to my friend Ellen and her husband, Chuck. They had their first baby this afternoon, a beautiful little girl named Kate. So exciting!! I keep having dreams that I am in Birmingham meeting my little nieces, but alas, we are not. And would you believe that I have two more friends expecting in the next six months?? These are all friends that I grew up with in Birmingham!

Instead, we are adjusting well to Dallas, and I was even pleasantly surprised when I woke up this morning to find the temperature had dropped 30 degrees! It was 75 this morning and I was FINALLY able to go for a run. I know Mike was happy that I was able to run out some of my energy and anxiety.

Now, for the job. When we came down here, I was referred to a real estate agency by one of my college friends. She went to elementary school with the guy who owns the company and he is doing really well. Please keep in mind that he is also 30. Once we rented our house, I became friends with him on Facebook (always the social networking site) and noted that he needed a personal assistant. I decided to contact him about this and was hired as soon as we met. I worked for 2 days and then the entire next week. My list of duties included: Getting his Escalade gassed and washed, letting his dog out three times a day, and picking out new brown dress socks for him.

However, I was also given some responsibilities at the office. Suddenly, I was in charge of marketing, as well as the hired on I.T. person. It was stressful and I stayed several evenings until almost 7 pm.

On Friday evening at 8:00, I received a phone call from my boss. I was already dressed up to go out with Mrs. C and Mike and we were literally getting ready to drive away. My boss informed me that this relationship was not working and he would have to go "a different avenue." I was shocked. I asked three times for specifics as to what had gone wrong, and reminded him that I had only been around for a week - how do you know someone that quickly? Each time he was questioned, he stated that the relationship was not working and he was not going to go into details.

I burst into tears after I hung up. Mrs. C was FURIOUS. She kept talking about what a jerk he was, and how I couldn't take it personally - he didn't even know me! She offered to stay in, but I knew I would just sit there and try to figure out what I had done wrong. So we headed to a piano bar, I got a martini and proceeded on with the night. I am still having a hard time digesting this (who gets fired???) but also accepting this guy is a narcissistic jerk who seems to want everything placed as the most important thing going. By the way, did I tell you I drew up a contract for him, and also read through a contract and dumbed it down for him? All for an hourly wage?

Regardless, I am going to focus more on my legal career and look at this as a blessing. (Maybe tomorrow. :-) )

1 comment: