Tuesday, July 26, 2011

One Day Down

I bet you didn't think you were going to hear from me this week. Well, I am sitting on the couch in our hotel room waiting on my cheeseburger to arrive. We had several options for delivery this evening - pizza, pasta, chinese or burgers. I figured since pizza was last night, and the others are sure to send me into a coma, the cheeseburger was the best option.

Michael and I left yesterday evening to travel the full 20 miles to Irving, TX. You may be wondering why I am staying at a hotel when I live only 20 miles away. First, I completely envisioned myself leaving late, getting stuck in traffic and missing the entire test. Second, I could not wait to get out of that house. The lady at the front desk seemed very overwhelmed. She gave me take out menus, quickly ran through the amenities and asked if I would prefer for my wake up call to be at 4:45 or 5. WHAT? Apparently that was the average rate going. I went for 5:30 (just to fit in.)

Mike thinks we are on vacation. He walked in the room, fully unpacked (we are here 3 nights) and is taking advantage of the free happy hour downstairs. He was also more than a little excited when we drove up and saw the pool. Last night was good - I wasn't too stressed because today was only half a day of testing. (Thank you Texas for having your own procedures, coinciding with the Federal Rules.) I walked in after the test in a great mood, laid down, and woke up a completely different person. Mike left shortly after to "run some errands."  :-) It has been good though - I was able to get some studying done without him pacing around the room or randomly interrupting me with comments about the news or whatever happens to be on t.v. As selfish as it sounds, (and I told him this) I really just need to him here to sleep.

Mike has been incredibly supportive through this entire process, but drew the line yesterday when we were packing and I suggested that we bring the plant and balloon my in-laws sent for good luck. (He also wouldn't bring me my coffee maker and coffee from home....isn't hotel coffee the worst??) He keeps informing me that we are not moving in, but it sure does feel like we have!

So. Today. I walked downstairs for breakfast and immediately began having flashbacks of law school. Here's the thing about law school - probably any school. We used to call it middle school with alcohol and sex. There are cliques, the cool kids, the crushes, the gossip. (Not so much the jocks.) The best part is, within this selective class, there is also a group that has somehow been placed in the class of nerds. And I laugh because let's be honest, everyone there is in some form or fashion, a nerd themselves. It's also funny, because there are an elite group deemed "the smart ones." These are the kids on law review, the ones with the best grades - the smart kids. I started thinking how ironic it is that we still have that hierarchy, while pretty much everyone there would be considered, "smart." (I'm not trying to pat myself on the back - I wasn't one of the smart kids. :-)

And so we all congregated together to begin this test that is supposed to define the rest of your life. A girl threw up during it. I felt horrible for her (but I didn't know until the end of the exam because I had my nerdy earplugs in!) The kid next to me told me. The thing about this test is that it is created to be as intimidating and anxiety producing as possible. We were required to bring our laptops into the testing area/corral in a 2.5 gallon ziploc bag. Why? I don't know because no one ever checked to see if we had. I think it is just to give you one more thing to worry about. You are given a number and sent to sit at a long table with people who are just as freaked out as you. The best part is the proctors. They make sure that you are unable to do anything that would make you comfortable, or the process less painful.

We had a break between 90 minutes sessions today. Several people got up to go to the restroom, which also contains a table with chilled water. You can see it. But you can't have it. You can't bring it to your desk. And during that 90 minute break, they wouldn't let anyone go to the bathroom! Several people made a run for it, but I watched a pregnant girl turned away because "this was not the time." They prefer for you to dash while the test is being timed, you have your earplugs in and are fumbling around trying to hand your license over the person guarding the bathroom. It is chaos.

So, if you are still reading, tomorrow is from 8-5. (They will be allowing lunch.) Sorry I wrote so much - this whole seclusion thing is tough!! And my burger is here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment