Monday, December 21, 2009

My New BFF

I was dreading going into work this morning. I had almost a week off because I was sick, and then had a few days off anyway, and was really getting into the Christmas spirit. The spirit was killed when I put on my black tennis shoes and khakis, but I headed to work anyway. We had a busy lunch, which is always great - more money! But as I was refilling the parmesan cheese at the end of my shift (yes, I have to do this) I started staring at a girl at one of the tables. I asked my co-worker, "Doesn't she look familiar??" I couldn't place her but just kept staring. Jokingly, my co-worker said, "Maybe she is some famous movie star...." My reply: "I really think she is!"

I discovered we were making a scene when a lady, who I assumed was the girl's mother starting nodding and pointing at her daughter. I went over and asked her, "How do I know that girl?" She whispered back, "She is Erin on 'The Office.'" The following was a show of what I can only call embarrassing behavior. I started talking to her mother exclaiming how much we love "The Office" and how we Tivo it when we are not available. (That was not important information for anyone to know.) Somehow or other, "Erin" got dragged into the conversation and started talking with us. Just three besties hanging out. Me, Erin and Erin's mom. I have to say, she was incredibly nice and apparently a great tipper as well.

I trapped her for at least 5 minutes while we talked, and discovered that her family lives in St. Louis and she is home for the holidays. (Mike later suggested that we find out where her parents live and stop by the house with some cookies.) I did consider asking for her autograph, but held myself back. As she left, we shook hands (I know - I touched her!) and I was still in awe of how nice she was. Then in a moment of weakness, I ran outside and yelled, "Erin! (So not her real name.) Tell John Krasinski I love him!" My cool factor may have plummeted after that, but the entire interaction made my day. Now I wonder who I will see at dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment