Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Sweet Home Alabama

If you ever move to Alabama, be prepared for the following two questions: "What team do you support?" and "What church do you go to?" (In that order.) When you move to Alabama, be aware that what people are asking is whether you favor the University of Alabama, or Auburn University. My parents are from Virginia, and while some may consider this the south, as it is below the Mason Dixon line, it really isn't. If you have been living under a rock, the University of Alabama just won the SEC Championship. Now, if you live in the south, you care about this. If you live in St. Louis, you are hard pressed to find any SEC games on television. Regardless, back to the beginning.

My parents like to remind me of the first Iron Bowl (Alabama v. Auburn) that I "celebrated" when I was enrolled in school. I had no idea of the rivalry as my parents went to Virginia Tech and my dad is more engrossed in the Red Sox. When I was told during gym class that I would have to show up on Friday wearing my Alabama or Auburn gear to determine which kick ball team I would be on, I freaked out. I'm really not sure what reaction my mother had, I was too young, but I ended up at school in a white shirt and a red bow in my hair. (We already had these staples and although I did not have a big "A" on my shirt, I looked enough of the part to join the team.) And so, another Alabama fan was born.

Each year after that, I was proud to wear my white shirt and red bow to school and claimed Alabama as my team when asked "who do you go for?" I had no idea when these games were on or who was playing, but my commitment was solidified. (Besides, orange just really isn't a good color on me. My mom must have noticed.)

When you drive into Alabama, you will see more bumper stickers, flags and other paraphernalia supporting one of these teams. My favorites (and one of my friends fits into this category) is when there is "A house divided." That is, one person in the household either went to Alabama or Auburn or has a strong support for them, while the other spouse supports the other team. Although you may think this is not a big deal, it is. I have no doubt that many a domestic dispute has begun after the Iron Bowl.

And so, the University of Alabama will play Texas in the National Championship. At this point, Nick Saban is God of Alabama and all is good in the world.

1 comment: