Monday, October 3, 2011

More Antics from Lullabelle

It all started last week when I took Lullabelle to the vet. She has been biting a lot (specifically not allowed in our home) and I started wondering if it had anything to do with the tooth we dealt with a month ago. I was able to look in her mouth (pry her jaw open) and saw that she had a bump on her gums. I was sure it was an infection because Mike and I didn't exactly give her the antibiotics. She didn't like them! When I took my child in, a different doctor than the one we had last time came in the room. I immediately said without thinking, "You're not the doctor." He looked at me and said, "I've been here for 10 years. What's the problem." Not so much with the bedside manner. I explained the issue and he started to examine my cat.

The vet finally looked up at me and said, "There's nothing wrong with her." "Oh - there is," I argued! "She has a bump on her gum!" He proceeded to explain that these "bumps" are folds of skin and most cats have them. Oh, and if I had looked more closely, she has one on the other side too. Oops. Thankfully the doctor decided not to charge me for this piece of information. I walked out of the office and called my mother, knowing she would think this was hilarious. After she gave me an obligatory pep talk about how I am an avid pet owner, she said, "Don't worry - you are just a concerned mother." I agreed and she said, "No. Really. I was one too. When you have kids they put a note in your chart that says the mother gets worked up about things that aren't really a problem." Great.

She went on to say, "But then, sometimes I didn't even know anything was wrong with you. Julia could go an entire week with an ear infection. How do you know?" Super. So glad we all ended up so normal. I got home and told Mike about my excursion. After saying, "That's embarrassing," he told me that we needed to be more serious about taking care of Lullabelle. "We have to give her medicine even if she doesn't like it. Our (unborn) kids aren't going to like everything we do!" (This coming from a man who takes spiders outside so that he doesn't hurt them.)

So, in the spirit of being more strict, Lullabelle is on a diet. She was supposed to lose 2 pounds the last time I was there and she lost 3 ounces. Not very good progress. So we are going to start being more serious about this issue....unless she starts crying because she is hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment