Sunday, March 6, 2011

Too Old to be a Wing Man

Someone asked me the other day to update my blog. I told her that if I did, it would just say, "Got up, worked, came home, fixed supper and went to bed." Life has been a little boring recently, which is just fine with me. I think sometimes if you are boring, there is a lot of happiness there. As fate would have it, Thursday night I experienced something blog worthy.

I promised a friend here we would meet because she just finished taking the TX Bar and we had not seen each other in awhile. (Sidebar - I have also been discussing setting her up with a guy we know here, and they do have a texting relationship so far.) Anyway, Thursday evening after work, I met her at a wine bar where we sat and caught up. The most amazing thing about this place is you can have food delivered to your table from surrounding restaurants! We ordered a pizza and some salad and just sat and chatted.

As we flew through conversations, we finally began discussing my guy friend. I knew that he planned to go out with some of his friends that evening, and mentioned that to her. The next thing I knew, texts were flying and somehow we were headed to her house to change and meet him out. It was close to 11:00. I was already exhausted - and keep in mind - still wearing my work clothes, that could only suggest I am employed at the public library. It had been one of those mornings where you throw on the quickest thing you can find in your closest, which I learned once I got to work, was black pants with a huge toothpaste stain on them, a top and a little black cardigan. Not so much the outfit you would choose for a night out. You know those outfits they show you in fashion magazines that suggest how to change from day to night? I wouldn't have made the cut.

Anyway, as my friend put on a super cute outfit, I demanded at least a change in shirts. After upping my style to "business casual for 2011 rather than 2003" we headed out. We were *attempting* to play pool (which I was actually really good at in college) when my friend met us. I will say this - this is the first time I have played matchmaker and it may have just actually worked. You can ask my best friends and sisters - I am generally horrible at matching people up. But Thursday night, there was some magic happening! Enough that I ended up sitting on the steps texting Mike because it was going so well. Mike was working, but don't worry, he was involved soon enough.

After last call (which is at 2 AM!!!!) we got in the car to go home. Since I live 30+ minutes away from where we were, I left my car and let my guy friend drive me home. Except it was all three of us. And they came in. I think Mike's face said it all. Suddenly people were opening wine and pouring drinks while Mike and I sat on the couch staring at each other. In a sense it was hilarious. In another sense, it was a mess the next morning when I had to be at work. I will say, my friends went on a date last night and seemed to really enjoy themselves. However, I discovered I am way too old to be a wingman. If I am going to continue this matchmaking, I am going to have to open my own office and work during regular business hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment