Thursday, January 13, 2011

Budget Cuts

Right before we got married, several people told me that there are generally three things newlyweds fight about: money, sex and in-laws. Now, some things are just too private for even THIS blog, so I am going to tell you about how Mike and I are trying to come to terms with different "budgeting" ideas. It's a very odd feeling to go from having your "own" money that you can spend without asking anyone, to merging into "our" money where another person must be considered before that debit card slides through the machine. I will admit, although my parents attempted to teach my financial responsibility, I think I was a slow learner. We actually started getting a monthly budget when we were 10, and when the money was out, it was out. This included our clothes, going out with friends, etc. I was always out of money about 10 days in, while my middle sister seemed to be building her 401K in the coffee can in her room. (Apparently, you can never start too early.)

When I left the nest, I discovered this amazing thing - the credit card. You mean I can walk into Banana Republic, buy an entire season's worth of clothes and it is not going to affect my bank account? I can tell you, I learned the hard way not to get store credit cards (with 25% interest rates...) Regardless, it has been interesting to see how these financial beliefs have played out in our marriage.

I have suddenly become very frugal on certain things. It drives me nuts when there are lights left on in rooms that we are not in.(Yes, I am my father's daughter. In fact, we used to get fined $1 if we left the light or stereo on in our rooms.) Mike and I are enjoying our first winter together where the energy bill comes out of our budget. The thermostat is constantly being pushed up or down by one of us. I keep telling Mike to layer up, while he tells me that it's abnormal to sit with two blankets and a sweatshirt on whenever I am in the house. (I still really want a snuggie...) Believe me, I have my own issues. I will tell you, I can't remember the last time I bought a new piece of clothing. I am feeling very out of touch with whatever is going on in the fashion industry right now, but thankfully my mother in law saved me over Christmas and got some things so I am not embarrassed to go out in public.

The first time that I went to get my hair cut and highlighted, Mike almost had a heart attack. He never realized just how much it costs to maintain this high level of beauty :-) Manicures and pedicures were cut out a long time ago, but I refuse to let my hair be two different colors. The great thing is, Mike ran this conversation by several of our newly married friends. My favorite reply so far has been by one of his groomsmen: "Don't even try to fight this one. The hair is non-negotiable." Of course, Mike continued to argue the point, but I think my window of opportunity may still be open! (Besides, when he is arguing that wings are a necessity, I do think there is a little wiggle room!)

Aside from that, I am trying very hard to do all those things that people suggest you do to save money. Make the grocery list before I go to the store, cut out the salon shampoo and stick with the drug store brands..any tips are welcome! I am not a coupon cutter - never have been, and probably never will be. (Just a warning.) But, we are definitely trying to cut as many corners as we can...if that means that we sleep under 2 comforters, that is just the way it is going to have to be. I mean, we do live in Texas, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment