Sunday, July 25, 2010

There's Always Drama With Us

We got a house!!! After my last blog, we got on the road and made the ten hour drive to Dallas. Luckily, some of Mike's parent's friends, and quite possibly the nicest people I have ever met, allowed us to stay with them during the frenetic week. We had previously spoken with a real estate agent who was going to find some rental properties for us and planned to meet with her the next day.

First I have to tell you about the great people we stayed with. The wife is retired and they have three children (one is my age and has wonderful connections in the city.) The husband works from home and at 5:00 every day there were cocktails and appetizers waiting for us. Quite honestly, I couldn't hang. I woke up with a headache every morning! As we began to look at houses, we realized how much furniture we have and began to get an idea of the square footage we would need. I have desperately wanted a guest bedroom ever since I moved in with Mike, but we just didn't have the room for him to have an office and a separate bedroom. I had my heart set on a 3/2. We found the perfect place that INCLUDED the washer, dryer and refrigerator, but then found out that we were in competition with another couple for the place! Once we finally signed the lease, we were told that the owners of the house liked us better :-). I personally feel that it was all because of a dog.

When we walked into the house, their dog was caged so he wouldn't jump on anyone. Apparently earlier that day, the other couple came to the house and the dog was growling and barking at them. When I knocked back on the door and asked to take a few pics of the house (I know, that's annoying) the dog was out and running around....AND..he loved me. We played around and I am pretty sure that sealed the deal.

So we got the house and were able to leave TX in time for me to work on Friday. One a side note, the people we stayed with have a neighbor who hangs out with them quite a bit. He is divorced and enjoys spending time with other people. Well, he called around 10:00 one evening as we were drinking martinis and watching a movie. He had locked himself out of the house. Mike nominated himself as the criminologist of the group and assured us all that he knew how to break into the house. After attempting to use a tennis ball with a hole in it to blow the lock out, and the a paper clip to pick the lock we were still standing outside. The people we were staying with decided to take a leap of faith and check the window we were standing by the entire time. It was open! And so, they reached right through the window and unlocked the door.

Keep in mind, the entire time the neighbor was on the phone talking to his friend about how he was locked out of his house. I was pondering how Mike knew how to break into houses and wondering if there was a connection between that and the length of time he has been in school. As this post is getting long, I will leave you with the thought that I must tell you about the floozie secretary Mike will be working with. Yes, everything is bigger in Dallas.

No comments:

Post a Comment