Sunday, July 18, 2010

It's 4:45 am...What Are You Doing?

You must be wondering what in the world I am doing up at this hour. Although this has become close to my regular bedtime, there is a reason that we are up and about. I am waiting for Mike to finish packing so we can drive to Texas. We have some news. We are moving to Dallas!! Can you believe it? Just after the honeymoon, Mike got a potential offer to move to the University of Dallas, Texas and continue his education there, along with some other perks. The more we talked about it, the more it sounded like a great idea. Let's be honest. I think we all know my feelings about St. Louis, and I have an amazing number of contacts that have come out of the woodwork since we started throwing this idea around.

For Mike, this is a chance to get his name out at another university and show what a great Criminologist he is! Really the most important thing is that it will be something that we are starting together, just as our married life is beginning. Yes, I will have to find a new name for the blog, but I think we will be able to handle that. So, we are leaving this morning to make the trek down to Dallas and start looking for a place to live. Here's the deal. Dallas is one of the biggest 9 cities in the U.S. I didn't quite realize this, but after talking to one of my friends in San Antonio, she told me that I am going to have to get used to getting on the highway to get from point A to point B. I have gotten somewhat used to that here, but I think there is some sort of spaghetti spiral or something that they call the highway connections down there. It makes me nervous.

Another great thing - no ice and hard winters. From what I understand, it does snow, but it is similar to snow in Alabama. I can handle that. I may actually leave the house in the winter, rather than bundling up for 5 months in front of the television. Now, things are a little overwhelming at this point. Mike has to be at school by August 18th - that gives us exactly a month to sell this condo and get moved down there. It's not going to happen. So, we are getting this place put on the market and looking for a place to rent. When I heard what the starting prices were to lease a house my jaw dropped. I don't know where we will end up, but let's all keep our fingers crossed that it is not in a trailer down by the river. (And on the wrong side of the tracks!)

So, that's our news. I am trying to take things one day at a time and as my mother in law suggested, "Drink a lot of coffee." I really am just so excited about this new chapter in our lives!! On a side note, just as we are moving to Dallas, I will be close to be becoming an aunt for the second time to my friend Ellen's baby, Kate! Something is in the water, but don't worry, I am not drinking it yet. Hope all is well with everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment