Friday, May 21, 2010

Too Much Noise!

I just filed a noise complaint. I know, I have turned into that annoying person who calls during your parties in high school and everyone has to flee the premises before the cops actually arrive. However, I feel as though I was very legitimate in my call. First of all, it is 11:30 at night!! Yes, it may be Friday, but it is super annoying to be watching old DVR'd Oprahs when there is music blaring across the street from you!

Now, this is not the first time this has happened, I have just never been the caller. (I promise we live in a safe neighborhood!) Anyway, the condos we live in are across from the pizza joint, and a store called "i am." I haven't figured out exactly what the hours of operation for the store are because there are always people in it. There is also a parking lot next to our condo where people who work at the pizza joint park. I know from previous conversations that this is where my ex-co workers used to sit in their cars, listen to music and get high. Mike made a complaint around 5:00 one evening about a car blaring their music in the parking lot. Turns out, it was my favorite dish washer (we watch out the window) but he shouldn't have been playing his music so loud! Plus, he denied it was his when the cops got there. Serves him right.

Tonight, I noticed that music was playing across the street incredibly loud for at least 30 minutes. (Ok, maybe 15, but still a long time.) I began to think maybe I should call the police, but who do you call? Do you call 911? Mike, of course, was at school, so I called him for instructions. After refusing to call for me, he told me to call 911 and issue a noise complaint. I was nervous that I was taking away from someone else's actual emergency, but I called and the operator took a lot of information from me. Then I perched myself over the back of our chair to see what would happen.

Let me tell you, if I had been shot, I would not have been happy with the response time of these police officers. However, since that was not the case, I will give them the 5 minutes it took them to get there. Of course, right after I called, the music was turned off. I felt stupid, but no one has my name, and let's hope it stays that way. When the cops pulled up, I watched as multiple people left the store in a hurry and several people came to speak with the officers. Then I started to worry. "What if they shoot the policeman?" "Do I go down and try to help?" "I am already in my pajamas!" Luckily, right about the time I decided to be a coward and call for help if something went awry, another officer pulled up. They were there forever talking to the people in charge, and I started to feel nervous when the cop pointed at our condo and then to the store. I also felt stupid for not having turned out the lights and peering through the blinds with popcorn. (Ok, no popcorn, but all the other stuff is true!)

I did leave for just a second, and when I came back, the officers were gone. However, I think the after party is back. I just heard some girls yelling outside....where is my phone?

No comments:

Post a Comment