Thursday, October 8, 2009

There's No Business....

Well, things have going pretty well at the restaurant, so I haven't had to much to report. Then over the past week...explosion. It all started with good news. My manager pulled me over to discuss me being promoted to SERVER!! (It's the little things people.) A ton of people have quit so there is now an opening for me to actually serve food rather than cleaning bathrooms, windows and menus. My manager was very serious as she spoke to me about this apparently major change. I would have to find people to cover my shifts. (Check. Already have to do that.) I would be working more. (Awesome. I have been complaining that bill collectors are going to come take me away.) I told my manager to consider me ready.

During this transition, I am still completing my duties as a peon. The other day I heard a noise that sounded like a cross between the exorcist and a baby. As I turned around a noticed a child with a little bit of spit up on his chest. I didn't think twice about it until the mother called me over. She showed me the floor underneath their table was covered in vomit. (If you read this blog regularly, you will recall that the same thing happened to me while I was working at PBK.) I went to get my manager. I was trying to call "not it" but I was the only peon working that evening. My manager informed me that he is willing to do pretty much anything, but when it comes to vomit, he cannot handle the smell. As I was searching for a mop, the bartender told me that he would take care of it. Direct quote from my new favorite bartender: "Jenny, you don't make enough money to do this. I'll clean it up." I was amazed and so happy! However, we still had to apologize to the customers in the restaurant because of the horrible smell. And, oh yes, the parents fled the restaurant as soon as the bill was paid and never offered to help.

Then came yesterday. I ran across the street because I was already late (by 3 minutes.) A different manager (I have 3) tapped the clock to show me that it was in fact 5:03. That's annoying. I began my chores, and was wiping down some windows when a lady came out of the bathroom to tell us that the toilet was flooding. WHAT? I began to think, "Well, that sucks for the women that come here for dinner tonight! I guess they will have to call a plumber." Nope. Did you know that server assistant also stands for plumber? I am not kidding. Keep reading. My manager who would not clean up the vomit grabbed a mop and started trying to mop up about 3 inches of water. I simply suggested that he use towels rather than a mop, and somehow I had recruited myself to help clean up the mess.

First, the manager tells me to go find a mop. I found the handle, but couldn't find the moppy part. I asked the manager what a mop head looks like. He looked shocked, but when is the last time you mopped with an industrial sized mop head? Believe me, they look different. So, I bring my mop into the bathroom and sort of try to act like I am doing something without actually getting into the mess. After a few minutes of moving the water around, my manager suggested we get some towels. (Brilliant.) So please picture me. I am squatting down, latex gloves on, while throwing towels around the bathroom. I let my manager actually rub them in that filthy water and then squeeze them out. I suggested that we get one of those big "Careful - Wet floor" signs and was able to manipulate my way out of the job. I took my gloves off and hid behind the desk while he finished up. I'm sorry, but that is so not part of my job description.

So, I continue on my quest for a 9-5 job. One which allows me to interact with the majority of the public and does not allow me to sleep until noon each day. One which allows me to go to dinner with the few friends I have and ensures me that I will have weekends off. The quest continues, but until then, I am quite sure there will be more entertaining stories to come.

1 comment:

  1. ummm...you forgot to mention the puke parents left less than a 20% tip

    ReplyDelete