Sunday, October 25, 2009

Been Busy!

Well, I haven't forgotten about y'all. Things have just gotten a little crazy for a few reasons. I will start with the least fun and move on to the fun stuff!

1) My job. Holy moly. I have been working like a mad man because a) the pizzeria is understaffed and b) I am trying to make as much money as possible. As I told you before, I have now been promoted to server and have started my training. I am actually pretty terrified because I broke two glasses throughout the night yesterday just attempting to clean tables! The hilarious thing is since this "promotion" I am suddenly in the waitress' clique. People who used to walk by me without saying a word are now speaking to me. I am slowly moving up the restaurant chain. My parents should be so proud.

A few things I would like to remind you of the next time you go to dinner. When you ask the hostess how long the wait is, she has absolutely NO IDEA. She is literally spewing numbers out of her mouth and hoping that people will get up in time so that you don't come yell at her. I have no idea how long it is going to take a table to chew their food, nor did they tell me whether they came for a quick meal or to catch up for several hours. Yelling at me about the people who are not moving will not help your situation and I may just skip you!

In addition to that, do not use your children as a prop because you are hungry and grumpy. I would never have believed that parents would stoop so low, but I have encountered multiple parents who have no shame. They come to me with this pathetic look on their face informing me that their child is about to faint because he/she has not eaten. When I look over and see the child running around the restaurant (or wheeling with those super annoying tennis shoes) I have a hard time believing you. If your child is legitimately hungry, quite honestly this is not my problem. You chose to bring them to a restaurant at 8:30 without giving them a little snack before hand. Don't blame the hostess.

Finally, I am over the cute kid act. I don't care how cute your child is. I am not a babysitter. Parents seem to think it is adorable to watch their child run around the restaurant or bang on the windows into the kitchen. I have seen parents take pictures. This is not a joke.

Regardless, I will continue to move up the food industry's ladder until a real 9-5 job comes along.

2) The next thing that is going on is that I am trying (and I stress the word trying) to sell my house in Mississippi. Don't worry, it is not just sitting on the market. I have a buyer and almost all the closing papers have been signed. However, without going into detail, I have alienated the title broker who was working with me because I told her she was incompetent, and since then have alienated their in house lawyer by expressing my feelings of incompetence by the previous worker, as well as questioning the attorney's ethics. We are all now communicating by email.

3) Finally - did you know I am planning a wedding??!! I am having so much fun, but it is hard not to get carried away by the ads for things that you "must have" at your reception/ceremony etc. We have nailed a lot of things down, but it is hard because I am not in Birmingham. Lucky for me, my sisters (maids of honor) are there. Julia returned from Iceland for a quick week before she leaves for the Caribbean (who ever thought I would write that sentence??) She was able to plot out logistics and crunch numbers with my mother. My entire family has participated in tasting and deciding on our wedding cake, and my youngest sister and mother will be sampling the food for the reception. So, if you show up to the wedding and are disappointed with the selection, don't blame me!!

I have 10 bridesmaids. I know, it is a lot, but if you are realistic, we have been dating so long that I have had time to accumulate more friends than the average bride. I asked my girls, got the dresses and am planning parties. In the meantime, Mike has asked no one. We may have a lopsided wedding. Mike has also decided what song he wants our first dance to be. I am not telling you what it is, but this is also still very much up for discussion.

That's about it. I have to head back to work at 3:30 today. I am staring at the vacuum cleaner that I pulled out about 5 days ago but have not actually used....maybe today. Have a great rest of the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment