Monday, October 5, 2009

The Conference

If you are wondering what I did this weekend, I promise you will never guess. For the second year in a row, I attended a knitting conference with my mother and sister. Yes, you read correctly. There are actual places where people get together in order to knit. My mom started knitting several years ago and has made some amazing things for us. She has also met some really neat people through the store where she buys her knitting supplies. And so, every October, several groups of knitters from around Alabama drive to Fairhope, AL to stay in the Grand Hotel and knit chemo caps at night. (Not creepy like vampires, but they just do other things during the day.)

The best part is that I really get a mini vacation with my mom and whichever sister is around at that time. Last year Julia and I had a great time sitting by the pool sipping frozen drinks and exploring the spa area. This year, Laura, my mom and I also enjoyed the spa area, and searched for (and found!) a wedding dress and mother of the bride dress. I am not really going to go into the part because I don't want this blog to be a count down until the day of our wedding. Besides, you know something had to go wrong that I would have to write about.

If you recall, my marathon is in exactly 6 days. I am so scared, particularly since my running schedule has waned over the past few weeks. This weekend I was supposed to run 8 miles. Once we found the dress shop, I realized that it was only 4 miles from our hotel. My excellent plan was to run to the shop and straight back. I think there was only 1 turn, so it was a no fail plan. Except. I got up Sunday morning and noticed it was dreary outside, but knew that I had to get that run in. (I skipped the previous week's 12 miles.) Anyway, I started running and was doing fine. Then I noticed I was running...and running...and the dress shop didn't seem to be getting any closer. I still don't know where it went when I finally turned around. As I headed back to the hotel, I began to question whether I had seen large architectural structures before. Did I pass the Fairhope Library on the way out? I didn't think so. Where did the Fairhope Hospital come from?

I finally waved down a cable guy when I was completely turned around. I know, "Stranger Danger" but I had no idea where I was and it was raining! The cable guy told me I was 7 miles away from my hotel. I had been gone for 2 hours. He asked if I wanted to use his phone to call a cab. I asked him if he knew any cab numbers there. Negative. Then I tried to call my mom's cell phone. I thought my sister picked up and she sounded super excited to talk to me. Then I realized I had punched in one of my best friend's numbers. Dang speed dial. I don't know anyone's numbers anymore. Finally, we called information and called our room. My mom got directions to the BP that the cable guy was about to drive me to. (I know.)

Did you think the story was over? Nope. I went into the BP and asked for a Gatorade, assuring the cashier that I would pay as soon as mom arrived. I kept walking in and out of the gas station because it was freezing in the store, but it was freezing and raining outside. I was miserable. 30 minutes later, I decided to attempt to call my mother's cell phone. Of course, she has gotten lost. The BP lady offered to bring me back to the hotel and I accepted. I never paid for the Gatorade. I am not proud of my actions and do not recommend them to anyone, but I had a streak of luck.

I made it back to the hotel and slept the entire way home. All in all it was a successful weekend with just that one incident. See how much trouble exercise can be??

No comments:

Post a Comment