Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lullabelle Versus The Construction

A little background about my sweet cat, Lullabelle. She became a part of my family halfway through my first year of law school. I named her before I even picked her out, and then went on a shelter website to find my perfect kitten. Quite honestly, I ended up loving her through a little bit of false advertising. When I saw her picture, she was a kitten, only a few months old. While corresponding with her foster mother, I was never told that the kitten picture was taken when Lullabelle came to the shelter, a YEAR before. When I arrived to pick her up, (money paid, contract signed) I picked up a full grown cat!

Needless to say, this did not change my decision, and Lullabelle has been by my side for the last four years. She is very skittish because she spent a year in the shelter, and it takes her awhile to warm up to people. Fast forward to 2008. Lullabelle is packed up in her carrier and driven 8 hours north. She is welcomed into a home that has NO WALLS because there is a leak in the condo and no one can figure out where it is coming from. As a boy, Mike did not seem very concerned that there were no walls to hang pictures on and that he was staring at insulation and wooden beams all day. Quite soon after I arrived, the construction men were working on putting the walls back up.

Because Lullabelle is so skittish I didn't worry about her whereabouts while the men were working. I assumed she was hiding, at which she is an expert. When I moved out of my house in Mississippi, I was convinced that she ran away. We could not find her anywhere. 5 hours later, I found her hiding under a crumpled up bridesmaids dress. Back to St. Louis - I did not see my sweet cat all day. I went running and came back to ask Mike if he had seen her. It was when he started worrying that I started to freak out. We noticed that when we called her name we could hear her meowing, but could not place where she was. When we realized that she was sealed back into the wall behind a piece of cement drywall, I started crying hysterically.

My superman, Mike, unscrewed the wall and yanked it off. This was in the bathroom, so Lullabelle had jumped into the wall and then crawled under the bathtub. As soon as the wall came off, we heard her meowing. We placed a jar of tuna fish on the tub and she hopped right out like nothing had happened! Watch your animals closely - you never know what adventures they will decide to take each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment