Sunday, February 19, 2012

Bon Voyage!

Hi! I know that I still need to fill you in on Valentine's Day, but I will tell you we had a great time. Mike and I both learned some things over the year, which Mike has made me promise to post. He wants it to be clear that he did not single handedly ruin the day of love last year.

Today I am going to let you in on another big adventure going on with the Blackburns. My parents are taking off. Sailing away. Literally. I have told you before that they enjoy going down to the coast to spend the weekends alone and away from everything. Tomorrow, they are taking it to the next level. My parents and another couple who were somehow roped into this adventure, are setting sail for the Bahamas. The four of them will be the captain, crew, maintenance and kitchen staff for six weeks. Does that sound intimidating? It does to me!

Before I go any further, I want to make it clear that someone will be living in our house in Birmingham. If you are a thief, do not rob it. Thank you.

My mom and the other couple (who are retired) have been down in South Alabama this week preparing for the journey. They have been cooking, cleaning and basically getting into some Caribbean mindset and island time. (This did not bode well when I called my mom to tell her our toilet overflowed and was dripping into the garage below. She basically told me to call a plumber - and quit bothering her...:-)) My dad finally got down there Friday and I know they cannot wait to leave.

Once they leave, there will be no contact with them until they reach the Keys. This should be about four - five days They will then island hop until they get to the Bahamas. Interestingly enough, the only ones that seem to be worried about this is my sisters and me. Partially, I am worried about this cold turkey halt in communication. Last night my mom said to me, "Jenny, I actually have a life now! I have things to do!" I wasn't sure how to feel about that. Apparently the last 31 years have been weighing on her. She and my dad had big dreams before her three chickadees got in the way!

Of course I am also worried about something happening. A storm? Pirates? Who can know? What if they get tired of each other and someone jumps overboard? What if they love it so much they just don't come back? Obviously, Mike is thrilled that my parents have decided to take this trip as he gets to field all of these questions and concerns.

I know I am being irrational. My parents have taken all sorts of sailing classes and we used to do this for a week every summer when I was growing up. The difference was, I was there to make sure nothing happened! Also, this is a pretty extended period of time. I am extremely excited for them, but am ready for them to be back, telling us what a wonderful time they had. I know it will be an adventure they will always remember. And who knows where this will lead...my dad is already talking about sailing to Europe, and I don't think I am invited.

Doesn't the sky look gloomy? They are waiting until the storm passes to leave. I guess that is mature behavior :-)



1 comment: