Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas Eve Extravaganza

It's New Year's Eve and I just climbed into my pajamas, curled up on the couch with a new book and am waiting on a pizza and Mike to arrive. I could not be happier.Traveling is exhausting and both Mike and I picked up some sort of virus during our visits. However, we did have a wonderful time seeing family and friends and I managed to make it through my first Christmas away from the Blackburns. Luckily for me, the Cherbonneaus always welcome me with open arms and made this year just as special.

We were able to swing through Birmingham on our way to Atlanta to see my sister, Julia, for one night. Her work schedule was not meshing with our travel so we stopped for dinner and a mini-Christmas. The next morning we got up and made it to Atlanta in time for lunch. My sweet nephew Houston is three years old and hilarious. Our beautiful niece Calista makes me smile everytime I see her. I'm pretty sure I had her in my arms 75% of the trip.

On Christmas Eve, the Cherbonneaus have a seafood extravaganza. Calamari, shrimp, lobster..you name it - we are eating it. Earlier this year, my in laws downsized their house and moved into a cute new one. While Mike was playing with Houston we turned on the bridge of the stove to cook a large pot of water. We heard something pop and the next thing we saw were sparks. Please keep in mind we all had a glass of wine in hand. The result :

Me: "Michael, Michael - there is a fire!
Mike: "Jenny, I am in jail - I can't get up."

Mrs. Cherbonneau immediately threw flour at the fire (which is what you are supposed to do,) began calling for her dog and was headed out the door.

Kristen, my SIL was on the phone attempting to get her husband to pick up their fire extinguisher and bring it to the house. She then ran upstairs for the baby and was herding everyone out.

Houston: This may be the most exciting thing that ever happened to him. He was running around the house yelling, "Fire! Fire!"

(Please note that no one ever yelled for Lullabelle. That poor cat never had a chance!)

When Mike finally realized that what was going on was serious, he threw the pillows off of him (his jail cell) and grabbed the sprayer from the sink. He put the rest of the flames out but we still called 911. Luckily we warned my father in law that a fire truck would be in the front yard when he pulled up. While Houston went outside to examine the truck, the firemen examined the mess. Flour melded to the floor with water and a melted electrical socket. Diagnosis: No power. Prognosis for dinner: Bleak.

Poor Kristen ended up hosting Christmas Eve at her house. We moved everyone down the street, along with the food. It ended up being delicious and perfect. Everyone is safe and healthy, which is all we could ask for.  I have much more to write and many pictures to share, but thought I would start you off with that. Happy New Year! Enjoy these last few hours of 2011!

1 comment:

  1. I miss you Jen! It was so good to catch up a few weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete