Sunday, November 14, 2010

Decompressing

Well, last week was a tough one. It all started last Saturday evening while Mike and I were watching the game. We left the house around 9 pm to grab some Wendy's and noticed that Mike's car was GONE. I thought he was joking and had just moved it to a different parking space, but when I turned around, he was already on the phone with the police. I couldn't believe that this happened when we were sitting on the other side of the wall!

The police came over and I think it finally hit me when were filing the police report. Of course, I started crying and asking the cop "Who steals someone's car??" And yes, we know it is ironic that Mike studies car theft. Thank goodness on Monday we got a call that the cops had found the car and it was down at the impound. I was petrified of what we would find when we actually rescued the car. Amazingly enough, nothing had been touched. I guess some kid somehow got into it (it was locked) and drove it around until he was tired of it? I think the worst part was paying $150 for us to take our OWN car home.

On a side note, Mike has been having some tooth problems. He went to see a dentist awhile ago, but they suggested so many issues that Mike kept putting it off. Finally, the pain just got to be too much. He was scheduled to see an oral surgeon Tuesday evening to have all four of his impacted wisdom teeth removed, as well as two teeth that were completely rotted out. They assured us that the procedure would only take an hour. Four hours and one pedicure later (for me), Mike stumbled out of the back. He had woken up during the operation because they did not expect him to be out that long. He was hilarious in his drugged stupor, and I was particularly proud of my husband as he asked me where the cute secretary had gone. I chose not to slap his puffy cheeks right then...:-) As he asked for the car keys, I patted myself on the back for taking them away from him before the surgery, knowing he would think he was fine.

Mike's parents had gotten in from Mexico that evening and met us at the house with Frostys for Mike to eat and some ice packs. I opened the wine. They left the next morning, leaving me with a very grumpy husband, chicken soup cooking, some Lortab and specific instructions from the dentist for steroids and anti-biotics. Poor Mike was still up until 5:30 this morning in pain.

So, I took care of Mike Wednesday and headed back to work Thursday. Ha, oh yeah. I couldn't find Mike's wallet Wednesday and after going back to the dentist and the pedicure place while he slept, I canceled his debit card. When he woke up, he grabbed his wallet out of his pant's pocket. Oops. :-)

When I came home from work Friday, all I wanted to do was sleep. I got in the bed and slept for about 15 hours. I don't think I realized how exhausted we both were until we got a minute to sit. And so, life starts again tomorrow. Mike has to head to San Francisco on Tuesday for a criminology conference (I know) and then we are going to Hilton Head for my first Thanksgiving away from home. Lots of changes over the past few months and I still can't figure out where the year has gone!

Looking back, I just have to think about how thankful I am that my family is healthy and happy, and know that this week could have been much worse....HOWEVER, I think we are good with dramatic events for just a little while. Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!! PS- Roll Tide

No comments:

Post a Comment